Scottish teams in Europe - Page 58 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

19 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

no one in Scotland can spend 10% of the £30m to compete

More than £3 million was spent by Rangers, a lot more, a good manager who bought some good players could have competed.... as could a few other teams spending that.....

21 minutes ago, macy37 said:

We spent £30m? I must have missed this.

If you can point out where I said this, I would take you seriously. 

But you can’t, it’s nights like this that make reading your posts all worth it. 

Embarassing Scotland yet again, it’s fantastic to watch. 

14 minutes ago, stocky said:

More than £3 million was spent by Rangers, a lot more, a good manager who bought some good players could have competed.... as could a few other teams spending that.....

I agree, they did, but we all know it’s not their money to be spending, so that doesn’t really count. 

18 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Its just soooo hard for Celtic to compete, booo hoo bhoys

I think thats a wee bit unfair, PSG are miles above everyone else,

if Celtic had been in an easier Group, say Man U 's group they would have done Better. In fact any other Group...

I think Mr Rogers is letting teh board know a few new better players are needed, they didnt buy any last year .

I think they will go through to Europa and a decent draw will allow then to go to 1/4's I think.  

All stand them well for next seasons champions league when they hopefully will get a better draw. 

I am not a Celtic Fan BTY...

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

If you can point out where I said this, I would take you seriously. 

But you can’t, it’s nights like this that make reading your posts all worth it. 

Embarassing Scotland yet again, it’s fantastic to watch. 

So you agree that we didn’t spend £30m then and actually about £5m which is not a million miles away from what Rangers outlayed. You know them doing that means that another team did actually spend 10% if that mythical £30m that you say we ‘could’ spend.

if your trying to paint a picture at least try dealing in facts eh?

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Jeez that was painful. I actually thought we played some decent stuff going forward at times tonight. Same old story at the other end, sloppy passing in front of the back 4 and some awful defending.

PSG are the real deal! 😱

Celtic looked dangerous going forward but hopeless at the back. Also didn't think the Celtic midfield played well at all. Too slack (or under pressure) to play out from the back. Would have been better playing forward more quickly and using Dembele as a target man. 

Not sure PSG are good enough at the back to win it though. 

1 hour ago, Mee said:

The money spent on PSG is nuts and I wouldn't be surprised if the hump every team this year to win the trophy. Financial doping is alive and well and if uefa don't do something about it then football in general is in trouble. They spent 300m this year on 2 players!!! 

Celtic have a huge advantage against other Scottish teams but the psg situation is a different level completely.

Bollocks . I'd back spurs to beat them over one or home and away. Can't believe I just typed that 😘

16 minutes ago, macy37 said:

So you agree that we didn’t spend £30m then and actually about £5m which is not a million miles away from what Rangers outlayed. You know them doing that means that another team did actually spend 10% if that mythical £30m that you say we ‘could’ spend.

if your trying to paint a picture at least try dealing in facts eh?

But I never once said they “did” spend £30 million. 

Try reading what was actually posted, instead of what you wanted to see posted. 

Ill give you the benefit of the doubt though tonight, you were probably still behind the settee hiding. 

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

But I never once said they “did” spend £30 million. 

Try reading what was actually posted, instead of what you wanted to see posted. 

Ill give you the benefit of the doubt though tonight, you were probably still behind the settee hiding. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I particularly like your it’s no their money so it doesn’t count pish. At least that cheered me up. 

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

European football is now much like domestic football. The teams with the big bucks dominate whilst the rest feed off crumbs. This is something Celtic have tasted for a long time now. Celtic need to get quality central defenders in to shore up the back line. Build from the back.

Yeah except there's about ten teams on a similar level to PSG, Celtic don't have another nine teams dominating alongside them. Obviously Celtic fans will want to exaggerate that PSG are so much bigger and better than anyone else because it makes them look less bad getting humped and being so inferior to them. They were outplayed just as much, in fact probably more,  by Bayern and Barcelona recently, this is hardly a one-off bad night. 

Celtic players just have it too easy in the SPL and I would recommend the likes of Tierney to take on the challenge of a quality league where they can't win almost any game without even trying much as this would give their game that extra edge. 

40 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

European football is now much like domestic football. The teams with the big bucks dominate whilst the rest feed off crumbs. This is something Celtic have tasted for a long time now. Celtic need to get quality central defenders in to shore up the back line. Build from the back.

But is that something that Brendan Rodgers thinks he needs? He had the chance to do that this summer and didn't. The one central defender they tried to sign failed a medical and was never going to be a first choice right away. 

He's definitely doing a good job but now he has to actually earn his money and improve the team for next season. 

There doesn't appear to be any improvement over last season so far. 

7 hours ago, Mee said:

The money spent on PSG is nuts and I wouldn't be surprised if the hump every team this year to win the trophy. Financial doping is alive and well and if uefa don't do something about it then football in general is in trouble. They spent 300m this year on 2 players!!! 

Celtic have a huge advantage against other Scottish teams but the psg situation is a different level completely.

What 2 players did they spend £300 on? Mbappe is only on loan. 

Celtic are closer to PSG in relative terms than Hamilton are to Celtic. Celtic just can’t take it when they’re the ones on the wrong end of the financial disparity. 

8 minutes ago, macy37 said:

An interesting stat -

PSG scored 24 goals in the Champions League this season, and conceded just one.
Out of those 25, the ONLY goal scored by a player who grew up at their academy was the one AGAINST them.

And here’s another stat - 

Half of their goals were scored against Celtic.😂🙈

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

What 2 players did they spend £300 on? Mbappe is only on loan. 

Celtic are closer to PSG in relative terms than Hamilton are to Celtic. Celtic just can’t take it when they’re the ones on the wrong end of the financial disparity. 

They paid a £98m loan fee for Mbappe which I believe was done to circumvent FPP rules and will form part of the final fee.

I don't think many Celtic fans are moaning about the financial disparity, it's just a fact of life. The real question for us is whether Brendan needs a more pragmatic approach in games like this or whether we continue to try and go ' toe to toe'.

4 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Adulation of PSG by a number of commentators and pundits masks some shocking defending from Celtic in their CL games this campaign. 

I can agree Ed up to a point, but PSG are as good as I've seen for a long time and I think they've more gears to go to than we saw last night. I guess we'll find out over the next few months how good they are.

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

An interesting stat -

PSG scored 24 goals in the Champions League this season, and conceded just one.
Out of those 25, the ONLY goal scored by a player who grew up at their academy was the one AGAINST them.

What isn’t you often say............ I can taste you tears

8 hours ago, Ormond said:

Which is fine if things like that are remembered when Celtic and their millions pump goals in against Saints, Ross County, etc.... 

Exactly, let’s see if Brendan remembers the financial gap when they cuff Motherwell 4-0 at the weekend to win a trophy.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

What isn’t you often say............ I can taste you tears

Exactly, let’s see if Brendan remembers the financial gap when they cuff Motherwell 4-0 at the weekend to win a trophy.

I can also see you obviously didn’t stick in at school....

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You really the stereotypical OF fan, happy to dish it out but toys out of the pram when it comes back. :wave:

You appear to be surmising that I’m sore about the result. While it’s never nice to lose heavily it was more than expected. Third was always going to be a great achievement and we still have a chance of doing this so the bigger picture is looking ok. We are playing against sides that are on a completely different level and it’s to be expected. It will be terrific to see European football in the new year it’s just a shame other sides from Scotland can’t manage to get through August. Here’s hoping that will change sometime soon.

1 minute ago, macy37 said:

You appear to be surmising that I’m sore about the result. While it’s never nice to lose heavily it was more than expected. Third was always going to be a great achievement and we still have a chance of doing this so the bigger picture is looking ok. We are playing against sides that are on a completely different level and it’s to be expected. It will be terrific to see European football in the new year it’s just a shame other sides from Scotland can’t manage to get through August. Here’s hoping that will change sometime soon.

You could have saved yourself all that typing by realising I was winding you up like you do to other fans when their side lose in Europe,. Stop taking this too seriously.:ok: