Scottish teams in Europe - Page 54 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

A real towsling today as expected but any saying it was an embarrassment knows nothing about the game. Happily PSG gave our rivals a good sowing too.

On another note nice to see us keeping the Scottish clubs healthy all through no effort of their own. Can anyone inform me just why the clubs get the £370k?

Super timing for the Accies.

8 hours ago, macy37 said:

A real towsling today as expected but any saying it was an embarrassment knows nothing about the game. Happily PSG gave our rivals a good sowing too.

On another note nice to see us keeping the Scottish clubs healthy all through no effort of their own. Can anyone inform me just why the clubs get the £370k?

It wasn't embarassing, but it wasn't very good either and the managers inability to put the best 11 players on the pitch for the second time in this group is worrying.

7 hours ago, dandydunn said:

The defending for the Bayern goals was truly abysmal. 

If it wasn’t for Gordon, it could’ve been 6 or 7. 

agreed, it was embarrassing defending regardless of what macy says

9 hours ago, macy37 said:

(c) @Parklife

9 hours ago, macy37 said:

It’s not even the most embarrassing result for a Scottish team this season. Far from it. Doubt anyone would claim losing to Bayern Munich Away was embarrassing.

Only saw a bit of the game, but Celtic seemed to be playing with a fear and looked panicked when they got the ball.

The solidarity payments are a token gesture to other clubs to say the champions league isn’t just about making the rich clubs richer. I’m pretty sure Celtic will have put extra effort into qualifying knowing that the other clubs would get something out of it too.

:lol::lol: 

1 hour ago, Mox said:

It wasn't embarassing, but it wasn't very good either and the managers inability to put the best 11 players on the pitch for the second time in this group is worrying.

Who would you have had on instead? Maybe Rogic for Armstrong but other than that I can't see much wrong with the 11 given he was forced to play Gamboa, and therefore Lustig out of position.

Griffiths had earned his place ahead of Dembele too 

18 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Who would you have had on instead? Maybe Rogic for Armstrong but other than that I can't see much wrong with the 11 given he was forced to play Gamboa, and therefore Lustig out of position.

Griffiths had earned his place ahead of Dembele too 

Forrest did more when he came on than Roberts or Sinclair did the full game.

BR's refusal to change his set up in these games will see repeated horsings against the likes of Bayern. If he sets up like that in Paris then Celtic are in for a real long night.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Forrest did more when he came on than Roberts or Sinclair did the full game.

BR's refusal to change his set up in these games will see repeated horsings against the likes of Bayern. If he sets up like that in Paris then Celtic are in for a real long night.

Sinclair and Roberts are both better players and ahead of Forrest so it's not that he picked the wrong line up, plus I disagree that he did more than Roberts. He got himself into some good positions in the first half but didn't have the support from others, and he got back and helped with defending at times too.

Forrest did alright for the short time when he came on too, but Bayern had very much taken their foot off the gas by then so not really a reflection of what he would have offered if he started.

16 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Sinclair and Roberts are both better players and ahead of Forrest so it's not that he picked the wrong line up, plus I disagree that he did more than Roberts. He got himself into some good positions in the first half but didn't have the support from others, and he got back and helped with defending at times too.

Forrest did alright for the short time when he came on too, but Bayern had very much taken their foot off the gas by then so not really a reflection of what he would have offered if he started.

I’m no fan of Forest, but at least he tries to help defensively, Roberts and Sinclair get found out massively at that level, they think they are better than they actually are, and don’t get the whole work ethic thing in Europe. 

Those two players are a hinderance in Europe against a good side, adding to Rodgers complete failure in strengthening the defence, which anyone could see was needed, third place in the group was the target and looks like it’s been achieved barring a disastrous run. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

I’m no fan of Forest, but at least he tries to help defensively, Roberts and Sinclair get found out massively at that level, they think they are better than they actually are, and don’t get the whole work ethic thing in Europe. 

Those two players are a hinderance in Europe against a good side, adding to Rodgers complete failure in strengthening the defence, which anyone could see was needed, third place in the group was the target and looks like it’s been achieved barring a disastrous run. 

Is your "they think they're better than they actually are" comment based on anything other than being one of those lazy, throw away lines people say about players? Roberts was deep in his own half defending and looking for the ball last night, no idea how you've decided that he doesn't get work ethic. 

And what level is it they get "found out" at? Bayern and PSG's level? I think anyone with a clue about football knew they weren't at that level before the draw was even made. Or if you mean champions league level then both players scored and played very well at Anderlecht just a few weeks ago.

Rodgers could also see we needed a centre half, but we didn't manage to get one that he felt was an improvement on what we had already.

Some amount of hysterical shite getting thrown about today ffs.

33 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Is your "they think they're better than they actually are" comment based on anything other than being one of those lazy, throw away lines people say about players? Roberts was deep in his own half defending and looking for the ball last night, no idea how you've decided that he doesn't get work ethic. 

And what level is it they get "found out" at? Bayern and PSG's level? I think anyone with a clue about football knew they weren't at that level before the draw was even made. Or if you mean champions league level then both players scored and played very well at Anderlecht just a few weeks ago.

Rodgers could also see we needed a centre half, but we didn't manage to get one that he felt was an improvement on what we had already.

you're right, there is some hysterical nonsense, I just read your post on the TAMB- so whats happened thread....................hysterical indeed.

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Forrest is far more experienced at that level.

Roberts and Sinclair may be more skilful but they left the wings wide open last night with next to no protection for the full backs.

Forrest would give far more of that.

So aye, it was the wrong team. Sinclair and Roberts are luxury players in games like that. To play both is madness IMO.

46 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Rodgers couldn't get one single defender that was better than Lustig at Centre Half? Deary me.

Both Roberts and Sinclair are great players but far too lightweight defensively when playing against the likes of Bayern.

Like a said, play that midfield against PSG away and the home leg will look like a close contest.

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I’m going to assume that you’re a celtic fan who  is blinkered beyond belief, otherwise that post is complete shite. 

31 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Rodgers couldn't get one single defender that was better than Lustig at Centre Half? Deary me.

Lusting isn't a centre half, he's a right back. We had been looking at the South African boy at CB but it never went ahead. I'm sure he was only a young boy though so I doubt he'd have been thrown into a game like last night anyway.

58 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Lusting isn't a centre half, he's a right back. We had been looking at the South African boy at CB but it never went ahead. I'm sure he was only a young boy though so I doubt he'd have been thrown into a game like last night anyway.

I'm aware of Lustigs position but thanks for clarifying. It's just made my point about Rodgers refusal to sign a decent centre half all the more relevant.  Lustig has needed to play centre half several times.

Even your centre half on the bench last night isn't actually an out and out centre half.

4 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

i think the point being made by a few is that Brendan picked what he thought was his best team rather than the best team for a game away against Euro giants where you're going to be defending and chasing shadows all night.  Horses for courses if you want.  While Sinclair and Roberts are considerably better football players than Forrest, they are "luxury players" and far less accustomed to rolling their sleeves up and doing the nasty stuff.  A prime example was Sinclair being at fault for the first goal - he couldn't be ersed closing down Kimmich's cross. 

I would add that buying any centre half is better than trying to play Lustig there.

Edited by SMcoolJ