Malta - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Malta

lees_91

Staying in the north side Sliema (Plaza Hotel.... same one as Scott above) for the match last year.

I really liked it, with lots of nice bars and restaurants (Plough & Anchor, Sailisbury Arms, Fresco's etc....) but found it a bit of a closed shop come 11pm.... plus if traveling with a young family there is nothing to do (there is no beach so to speak, just a small strip of sandy area, but mainly rocks) and found St Julians and Paceville a lot more lively (maybe to lively for my liking).

Round where you get the Sliema-Valletta ferry a bit more lively (had a excellent mean in Ta'Kris on my last night).

If going back to Malta on my own again I would certainly stay there again, but if going with the wife and kids, probably stay in one of the resorts just so we have some entertainment for the kids).

One thing is for sure, do not stay in Valletta.... even though its the capital, I found it far to sleepy (even during the day!) and actually found myself not visiting as many times as I expected over the 5 days (can see it in a good morning and that is pretty much it).

If you are going with kids Mellieha, as far north as you can go, has hotels that cater for kids (and a really nice beach), really close to Popeye Village, but if going as a couple wouldn't recommend there as apart from a couple of restaurants in the village not much else going on, although there are buses that take you to anywhere on the island. Sliema is one of my favourite places but it's true come 11pm you will be struggling to find anything open. St. Juliens or Buggiba seem to be the main places for bars etc. No need for taxis as the buses take you anywhere. Valletta is a gorgeous place to visit but really sleepy - worth a visit though. Take the boat over from Sliema and bus back, again to anywhere on the island. If I could afford it I would be there every weekend!!