Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 24 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

29 minutes ago, aaid said:

Great article. His Daily Record comments are interesting. He sounds like a journo in the know. What does he mean by a "concerted effort" though?

10 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

What does he mean by a "concerted effort" though?

"Planned" probably 

I think today, and most definitely after the GE, everybody is going to be acutely aware of the choices - well maybe not Kezia and Scottish Labour and Willie Rennie etc

And if they are not aware Nicola has to have clandestine off the record meetings with certain editors and spell her plans out to them and ask if they are willing to help.

(The likes of Mike Dailly could be a real asset - ex hard line Labour)

Hard right Tory brexit and the consequences that will have or a parachute

If not then she has tried  

Edited by Ally Bongo

46 minutes ago, aaid said:

...except it still doesn't satisfactorily explain why the media is so anti-indy

is he really saying that the newspapers were balanced and everything rosy until 2014 poisoned the well? surely in 2014 the Yes campaign deliberately (and to some eyes regrettably) didn't attack the media for its bias?

what about is it to do with ownership, most of which is outside scotland?

18 hours ago, aaid said:

In reality, I think what's happening is right wing Brexit Kippers going to the Tories and "wet" Remain Tories going to the Lib Dems. 

18 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I think so too.

Labour analysts made a similar mistake after the 2011 Holyrood election. Because the Lib Dem vote dropped by the same % as the SNP's rose they assumed those voters had moved straight over, when in fact Labour were haemorrhaging votes to the SNP and it was dissatisfied Libs who were propping up Labour.

You guys do know I was only joking, aye? I might need to be less subtle in future?;)

19 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Tories win banff and buchan first vote preference by 4000 votes,, if tepeated at the GE it will be a monumental swing

If this is to do with Brexit, then there could be parallels with the post indy swing from Labour to SNP...?

Although Brexit hasn't happened yet, there's a 2 year fight ahead that Brexiteers may still think worth voting Tory for.

So far May seems untouchable, however unpopular her policies, no matter how weak and incompetent she is in the face of the EU, the British media will ensure she is seen as battling for britain, and confuse victory and defeat. it's gonna be a long 2 years...

Just now, hampden_loon2878 said:

Tories win banff and buchan first vote preference by 4000 votes,, if tepeated at the GE it will be a monumental swing

Ffs ..you are like the bloke in dads army "we're doomed " except private laurie didnae bang on about fishing all the time. Away and gie's peace man wi yer shyte.

I feel the SNP need to change tack a little and hammer home the likely implications of brexit in the run up to the GE.

At the moment it's "having a strong voice and being an opposition to the Tories"

That is not going to wash with a lot of people.

Less money in their pocket, more austerity, more public sell offs and cuts, businesses closing et al

All it needs is continual simple short sentences that lay the seeds

45 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

for council elections lot of people vote for individual 

my mother is always complaining on SNP to me, but voted SNP in Council election, cos of the individual performance of the Coincillor who has been insitu around 20-25 years (although he used to be an independent) 

1 hour ago, exile said:

If this is to do with Brexit, then there could be parallels with the post indy swing from Labour to SNP...?

Although Brexit hasn't happened yet, there's a 2 year fight ahead that Brexiteers may still think worth voting Tory for.

So far May seems untouchable, however unpopular her policies, no matter how weak and incompetent she is in the face of the EU, the British media will ensure she is seen as battling for britain, and confuse victory and defeat. it's gonna be a long 2 years...

Everyone is down playing the brexit vote and saying its running down the constitutional issue,, to an extent i disagree,, in the north east it is all about the brexit vote and the way they have been isolated from the SG 

1 hour ago, irnbruman said:

Ffs ..you are like the bloke in dads army "we're doomed " except private laurie didnae bang on about fishing all the time. Away and gie's peace man wi yer shyte.

No i am just gutted that alec salmonds back yard will turn blue due to the total disregard shown by sturgeon,someone accused me of having the blinkers  on earlier,, i had to laugh at that as some on here actually think that was a positive result for the snp/independence. Some of the most patriotic hardened SNP supporters i know either abstained or voted for other parties,, that takes some doing 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Some of the most patriotic hardened SNP supporters i know either abstained or voted for other parties,, that takes some doing 

:lol:

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

hampden_loon you should apply for a job with The Herald newspaper - they'd recognize your creative thinking.

This board needs balance to it,, hopefully i add a bit to it...TM will be probably now grant scotland a referendum at the next possible stage as its now apparent that she likes to strike while the iron is hot....when the next referendum is signed it will have a clause of some type in it like no referendum within 15 years 

15 minutes ago, the_fadiator said:

The local elections might be 'peak Tory' as the turnout's going to be 10%-20% down on a General Election. The SNP will be working hard to get their voters to turn up in June.

Thats what i am hoping for,, all those angry/brexit/old/unionist voters will have no doubt made an effort to get to the ballot box,, maybe give the casual snp voters that extra push to make an effort  

6 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

This board needs balance to it,, hopefully i add a bit to it...TM will be probably now grant scotland a referendum at the next possible stage as its now apparent that she likes to strike while the iron is hot....when the next referendum is signed it will have a clause of some type in it like no referendum within 15 years 

Fine.

As for clauses if such a clause was added in it would be out of order. Well perhaps a bit strong but I'd accept a clause in there if it were something like 'if polls show a discernible fall in support for independence' then I'd say by all means add it. As long as we have upwards of a million people (in the meantime) backing a cause it should always be an issue on the table. Even I'd accept no referendum if the support for it was shown to have falled markedly but that is not going to happen in my honest opinion. 

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fine.

As for clauses if such a clause was added in it would be out of order. Well perhaps a bit strong but I'd accept a clause in there if it were something like 'if polls show a discernible fall in support for independence' then I'd say by all means add it. As long as we have upwards of a million people (in the meantime) backing a cause it should always be an issue on the table. Even I'd accept no referendum if the support for it was shown to have falled markedly but that is not going to happen in my honest opinion. 

Sorry was maybe a bit unclear with my post above,, i think TM will allow a indy ref as she will be confident in winning but before its agreed there will be a clause in The Edinburgh Agreement which holds off any future referendums if yes loses again ,, maybe im wrong but that would not surprise me

10 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Sorry was maybe a bit unclear with my post above,, i think TM will allow a indy ref as she will be confident in winning but before its agreed there will be a clause in The Edinburgh Agreement which holds off any future referendums if yes loses again ,, maybe im wrong but that would not surprise me

You cannot bind future governments in that way. It would be deeply undemocratic.

10 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

And I'd hope then that such a clause (I take it you mean one regardless of what a set amount of time would bring for Scotland) is not agreed to then. It would be a blatant gagging of the public and not just a small pocket of people either but well over a million.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And I'd hope then that such a clause (I take it you mean one regardless of what a set amount of time would bring for Scotland) is not agreed to then. It would be a blatant gagging of the public and not just a small pocket of people either but well over a million.

I'm not saying it will happen but i could see the uk government trying such a move,, i totally agree it would be gagging of the public but do you think they would really care? Would also be very dangerous for Scotland as that threat of independence would then be gone for WM to do as they please.Hopefully im wrong 

51 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

.when the next referendum is signed it will have a clause of some type in it like no referendum within 15 years 

That's impossible and even if it were inserted it would be easily overturned in the courts if required.   

It's a well-established principle in the UK constitution that no government can tie the hands of a future government. 

Such a clause would be unconstitutional.