Tamb - where did it all go wrong? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tamb - where did it all go wrong?

32 minutes ago, Rossy said:

many of them younger, and many of them comfortable with the anonymity that social media allows you, in handing out abuse to what they see as 'strangers'.

That's actually the complete opposite of the truth. Social media gives folk far less anonymity.

It was only yesterday we had someone on here posting another member's twitter details. That wouldn't have been able to happen in these "good old days" that you are getting all nostalgic about.

9 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

That's actually the complete opposite of the truth. Social media gives folk far less anonymity.

Absolute rubbish.

There have been several individuals on here who have been repeatedly banned and yet who return time after time, using the anonymity of a new user name to post the same repetitive, boring dross.

Social media abuse (including much of the rubbish posted on here) is very much due to the fact that people think they can hide behind user names.

The bottom line is though that proper moderation of this board would see constantly abusive posters banned for good. It isn't happening sadly.

Edited by Rossy

5 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Absolute rubbish.

There have been several individuals on here who have been repeatedly banned and yet who return time after time, using the anonymity of a new user name to post the same repetitive, boring dross.

Social media abuse (including much of the rubbish posted on here) is very much due to the fact that people think they can hide behind user names.

The bottom line is though that proper moderation of this board would see constantly abusive posters banned for good. It isn't happening though.

It's not "absolute rubbish".  I have given you a clear example of how someone's anonymity was breached just yesterday.

More people know each other now than what they will have in your golden era of people getting banned because you don't like what they have to say, cos let's be honest, that's the real thing that bothers you.

It's also pretty ironic that you of all people are moaning about this, given that you are one of the most abusive posters on here.

Edited by Reevesy

Loved the Tamb from the days of Ezzy's board.  I have noticed my visits are less frequent now, I think the advent of greater numbers using twitter/facebook etc coupled with indyref/Rangers situ has killed it.

Anything goes used to be on fire with different topics with threads moving to page 2 rapidly.  its a shadow of its former self now.  

Guest BlueGaz
8 hours ago, Ormond said:

It's funny because I used to think I was arguing with Eoin Jess until I knew what Parkie really looked like. 

So thats not actually Rossy in the picture?

Just now, Orraloon said:

Naw that's no him. That's clearly a burd in his photo. No sure about Reevesy though.

That's me before I started slimming world. The kilt fits a lot better now 

There was plenty of abuse still back in the day and some total roasters who thought they owned the board and could say what they want. Most of them took a huff over one thing or another and left.

There was more of a community feeling though, probably because mesage boards were something new and exciting. As they are bog standard now the novilty has worn off.

It was a bit sad when people used to all wear their TAMB t-shirts with their internet username on the back to games. Used to cringe something awful at that when Pandora's was full of them. That died a death fairly quickly though.

Guest BlueGaz
6 minutes ago, jockodile said:

Betamax lasted long after VHS.

Was absolutely gutted when my mate finally got me a copy of Quadrophenia and it was on Betamax, but we had VHS.

We don't get threads looking for dating tips anymore. 

Or the ever famous "bumped into my ex last night". That was an epic one ©wembley67lisbon :lol:

Those carefree days are gone,never to return,I blame the likes of Facebook and tinder as it's far easier to get your hole now than it was back then,tips and advice aren't needed anymore. 

10 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

We don't get threads looking for dating tips anymore. 

Or the ever famous "bumped into my ex last night". That was an epic one ©wembley67lisbon :lol:

Those carefree days are gone,never to return,I blame the likes of Facebook and tinder as it's far easier to get your hole now than it was back then,tips and advice aren't needed anymore. 

Agreed. The young team don't know how easy they have it with Tinder and the likes.

We only had yahoo messenger back in the day, with no pics, so it was a tightrope getting burds down. Used to hide behind a wee fence at the train station for a look at them first and if they were munters we would just fuk off up the road again :D

Whole different ball game now.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Reevesy said:

Agreed. The young team don't know how easy they have it with Tinder and the likes.

We only had yahoo messenger back in the day, with no pics, so it was a tightrope getting burds down. Used to hide behind a wee fence at the train station for a look at them first and if they were munters we would just fuk off up the road again :D

Agreed.  The young team don't know how easy they had it with Yahoo Messenger and computers.  Some of us had to really graft.

5 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

I hear you brother :rollsmile:

4 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Agreed.  The young team don't know how easy they had it with Yahoo Messenger and computers.  Some of us had to really graft.

Bugger off ya auld fvcker :lol:

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Bugger off ya auld fvcker :lol:

We actually did have computers, BBC at school, and Vic20 / C64 at home.  But they were for Blagger, Asteroids and Donkey Kong, not dates.  

I was talking to Reeky at the weekend there and he's said it was three years since he was on. Told him he wasn't missing much at all.

I think what killed it for many was the change in format. It seemed a mess and probably put people off.

But the abuse on here is pretty tame compared to other boards. I was on a boxing board where guys would meet up to sort out their beef. One guy from Australia even doorstepped someone in one of the Hollywood suburbs in LA. If you want to see internet trolls, abuse and beatdowns look up combinations of Brisback, Charlie Zelenoff. Andrew Hartley and Anglosaxon.

15 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

We actually did have computers, BBC at school, and Vic20 / C64 at home.  But they were for Blagger, Asteroids and Donkey Kong, not dates.  

:lol:

I mind having to phone girls on their landline.

Remember one girl I'd met in a nightclub, phoned her house and her sister answered.

me: Hi, could I speak to Kirsten please

sister: CHRISTINE! That boys on the phone.... and he got your name wrong.

Now it's all WhatsApp and Snapchat.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

I mind having to phone girls on their landline.

Remember one girl I'd met in a nightclub, phoned her house and her sister answered.

me: Hi, could I speak to Kirsten please

sister: CHRISTINE! That boys on the phone.... and he got your name wrong.

Now it's all WhatsApp and Snapchat.

Then as dial up internet took over, most lassies were getting a phone line in their room, and had a separate number for you to phone them on.

Saved the hassle of dads and brothers asking wtf you were.  Life saver :D

5 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Then as dial up internet took over, most lassies were getting a phone line in their room, and had a separate number for you to phone them on.

Saved the hassle of dads and brothers asking wtf you were.  Life saver :D

I'd met my wife before normal people started getting the internet.

You had to go to the library to check your email.

I used to give hand-written letters to a mate at school, who would deliver them to the girl I was seeing, as they staying in the same village.

I would also go round the the nearest phone box to call her as my mum would complain about the phone bill.

That was almost 30 years ago, and I've still not got over us splitting up. :(