Jump to content
Tartan Army Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
ParisInAKilt

Montenegro

Recommended Posts

Without a shadow of a doubt. We went on a day trip from Dubrovnik. A bit sceptical about the guy we booked it through at the harbour in Dubrovnik but needn't have worried. We were the only two in an air conditioned luxury people carrier and our guide spoke perfect English. As well as our scheduled stops in Kotor and Budva he stopped wherever we wanted to. The road near the border wasn't the best but the drive was fantastic and pretty scenic. Cheap as chips too. Will definitely go back there. Also thoroughly recommend a wee trip to Mostar too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We visited both Mostar and Montenegro while staying in Cavtat (just ouside Dubrovnik) 3 summers ago. Both cracking day trips but we loved Montenegro so much we went back for 10 days the year after. We stayed in Muo, a 10 minute walk from Kotor Bay (like a mini Dubrovnik but cheaper). Cracking wee place! Budva as well is worth a visit, bit of a party town with loads of hot Russian burds. If you book a tour from Croatia they'll take you to both Kotor and Budva as well as the wee boat ride out to Our Lady of the Rocks, a wee man made island with a church, cafe, shop etc. Theres a story behind the island being formed by rocks and the sinking of old ships, and they still add to it to this day.

Definite must do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it you stayed in Cavtat (beautiful place) for the Scotland game then? That's what we did. Just flew up to Zagreb on the day of the game and back the next day to continue our holiday. I'm going to Split in June for a few days as I have never been there but heard good reports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, we were on our family summer fortnight that year. Was recommended Cavtat by a mate who has been loads of times. Cracking wee place! ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/3/2017 at 1:20 AM, Exglasgowasc said:

Without a shadow of a doubt. We went on a day trip from Dubrovnik. A bit sceptical about the guy we booked it through at the harbour in Dubrovnik but needn't have worried. We were the only two in an air conditioned luxury people carrier and our guide spoke perfect English. As well as our scheduled stops in Kotor and Budva he stopped wherever we wanted to. The road near the border wasn't the best but the drive was fantastic and pretty scenic. Cheap as chips too. Will definitely go back there. Also thoroughly recommend a wee trip to Mostar too.

Is it easy to find trips like this when there or better to book before? Seen some tours online though some seem very expensive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are I Dubrovnik or surrounding areas these trips are ten a penny. I would also just book when there. At Dubrovnik harbour they are all competing with each other so doubt you'll be ripped off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did a 7 night Gulet trip starting and finishing in montenegro and visiting Dubrovnik & cavtat. Highlight was sailing through the bay, surrounded by mountains up to Kotor.

One thing I learnt was there is no love lost between the two countries and don't offer to pay with croatian kuna in montenegro or euros in croatia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely worth trips both Mostar and Montenegro. Superb scenery. A photo of the view down from the windy road above Kotor is still my wallpaper on my computer at work (pic too big in size to post though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yip, Montenengro is great - very unique scenery with big mountains / fjords and a Mediterranean feel.

Kotor is the obvious tourist spot within easy reach of day trip from Croatia.
If you have more time is worth a trip up Mt Lovcen - which is listed as one of the worlds 10 most dangerous roads.
Can see all of Montonengro and into Albania from the summit.

Budva was nice enough - though basically a beach resort / party town for Russians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course it is. It'd be like going to Rome and not visiting St Peter's square.

Sent from my living room overlooking the mountains around Podgorica.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna be in Budva when Budocnost play Partisan Belgrade next month and thinking of going along.  

Easy enough to get tickets on the gate?  Won't be walking into a mini-Yugoslav war?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In theory it should be easy to get tickets on the night. I'll be going along myself if you fancy meeting up for it.

I'm expecting a full local derby atmosphere (think Sevco v Newcastle) with lots of cops around as the Partizan fans have previous for misbehaviour. Also the political scene between Montenegro and Serbia is a little tense just now after the election last year, so it could be tasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone been to Tivat before? Due to holidays etc, looks like we won't be able to go until last week in September which means the flights are ludicrously cheap. Anyone been here before, is there enough to keep us occupied for a week? Anywhere near by to go to for the day etc? Also, at that time of the year is it likely to be dead or still a decent number of bodies about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mox said:

Anyone been to Tivat before? Due to holidays etc, looks like we won't be able to go until last week in September which means the flights are ludicrously cheap. Anyone been here before, is there enough to keep us occupied for a week? Anywhere near by to go to for the day etc? Also, at that time of the year is it likely to be dead or still a decent number of bodies about?

You'll be absolutely fine, have no fear. It'll be cooler than high season (25 or so, today is 36 and too sticky to think), but still lots of sun. There's plenty to do and see on the coastline (Kotor, Porto Montenegro, Budva and Bar), with Podgorica and Kolasin easily rechable inland. There will still be a fair amount of tourists about then even though you'll be in the last few minutes of the traditional holiday season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

You'll be absolutely fine, have no fear. It'll be cooler than high season (25 or so, today is 36 and too sticky to think), but still lots of sun. There's plenty to do and see on the coastline (Kotor, Porto Montenegro, Budva and Bar), with Podgorica and Kolasin easily rechable inland. There will still be a fair amount of tourists about then even though you'll be in the last few minutes of the traditional holiday season.

Cheers my man. Any lical foitba teams about that might have a game on at that time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Mox said:

Cheers my man. Any lical foitba teams about that might have a game on at that time?

Local fixtures for the new season still to be announced - I'll keep my eye on it and let you know once they are out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, Mox said:

Cheers my man. Any lical foitba teams about that might have a game on at that time?

Here you go. Petrovac is on the coast between Bar and Budva, so that would probably be your best option if you are around on the 23rd September.

Round 8

  23.09. 17:00 Buducnost KOM  
  23.09. 17:00 Decic Sutjeska  
  23.09. 17:00 Grbalj Zeta  
  23.09. 17:00 OFK Petrovac Mladost Podgorica  
  23.09. 17:00 Rudar Iskra  
Round 9
  30.09. 17:00   Iskra Decic  
  30.09. 17:00 KOM OFK Petrovac  
  30.09. 17:00 Mladost Podgorica Grbalj  
  30.09. 17:00 Sutjeska Buducnost  
  30.09. 17:00 Zeta Rudar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Here you go. Petrovac is on the coast between Bar and Budva, so that would probably be your best option if you are around on the 23rd September.

Round 8

  23.09. 17:00 Buducnost KOM  
  23.09. 17:00 Decic Sutjeska  
  23.09. 17:00 Grbalj Zeta  
  23.09. 17:00 OFK Petrovac Mladost Podgorica  
  23.09. 17:00 Rudar Iskra  
Round 9
  30.09. 17:00   Iskra Decic  
  30.09. 17:00 KOM OFK Petrovac  
  30.09. 17:00 Mladost Podgorica Grbalj  
  30.09. 17:00 Sutjeska Buducnost  
  30.09. 17:00 Zeta Rudar

Much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@barney rubble - Dare I be curious / nosey and ask how you ended up in Montengro ?
Got no plan of moving there myself - but just curious how a Scotsman ended up living there.

Loved it when we visited.  Stunning scenery, mountains and fjords with an Adriatic feel.
Sort of like mixing Switzerland with the Mediterranean.  Great wee country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

@barney rubble - Dare I be curious / nosey and ask how you ended up in Montengro ?
Got no plan of moving there myself - but just curious how a Scotsman ended up living there.

Loved it when we visited.  Stunning scenery, mountains and fjords with an Adriatic feel.
Sort of like mixing Switzerland with the Mediterranean.  Great wee country.

:lol:

Great question mate, and no problem with you asking it.

Facts are that I work for one of the European institutions, and after 7 years in Albania, I've been 2 in Montenegro. Brexit and Mrs May will ensure my early retirement though, as the Vienna convention states that non EU nationals cannot hold Diplomatic posts if they are non EU members.

Ask away if you need more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Makes sense!
Really enjoyed Montenegro - went knowing nothing about the country and was blown away.
Took a little road trip from Kotor -> Mt Lovcen -> Budva.
Felt slightly off the grid and undiscovered
Though end of Sept, so it was quiet! not many tourists - very few Brits.
Well worth a trip down from Croatia.
 
p.s yip - screw Brexit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just spent the afternoon with a family from Glasgow, who are having a great time in Budva and who took time out to come up to Podgorica.

Currently there are so few flights from the UK. I believe Easyjet Manchester - Tivat is the only regular flight.

Montenegro is a great place. Love being here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×