Montenegro - Page 2 - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Montenegro

ParisInAKilt

21 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Just spent the afternoon with a family from Glasgow, who are having a great time in Budva and who took time out to come up to Podgorica.

Currently there are so few flights from the UK. I believe Easyjet Manchester - Tivat is the only regular flight.

Montenegro is a great place. Love being here.

Tivat or Kotor in your opinion? We have booked flights to Tivat from Manchester but she is now withering as whether to stay in Tivat or Kotor?

58 minutes ago, Mox said:

Tivat or Kotor in your opinion? We have booked flights to Tivat from Manchester but she is now withering as whether to stay in Tivat or Kotor?

Tivat is fine but my choice would be Kotor. It's a beautiful ancient town and the bay is stunning.

As per a previous comment I would also recommend a trip to Mostar. Stunning place and a place where you can probably get a feeling of how the the conflict impacted on various communities. Still plenty of evidence on war damage on the buildings.  The town is split by the river which divides the Croat and Bosnian(Muslim) areas. Some amazing Mosques and the kids still dive off the bridge into what looks like about three feet of water. The bridge itself is still a symbol of the destructive nature of the conflict. The old one was destroyed either by the Bosnian Croats or the Serbs depending on who you listen to.

Totally agree with the above. Well worth a visit. I was in Mostar 4 years ago on a day trip from Dubrovnik and remember the border crossing. taking ages. I'm going back there in ten days for the Aberdeen game. Anyone any idea how the border crossing will work in a hire car from Split?

On 7/5/2017 at 10:20 PM, Barney Rubble said:

Just spent the afternoon with a family from Glasgow, who are having a great time in Budva and who took time out to come up to Podgorica.

Currently there are so few flights from the UK. I believe Easyjet Manchester - Tivat is the only regular flight.

Montenegro is a great place. Love being here.

Ryanair do Stansted to Podgorica i think. (certainly did a few years ago as I went!)

On 6/26/2017 at 4:30 PM, Barney Rubble said:

In theory it should be easy to get tickets on the night. I'll be going along myself if you fancy meeting up for it.

I'm expecting a full local derby atmosphere (think Sevco v Newcastle) with lots of cops around as the Partizan fans have previous for misbehaviour. Also the political scene between Montenegro and Serbia is a little tense just now after the election last year, so it could be tasty.

Cheers Barney.  My boys are a bit wee so maybe looking at Mladost v Sturm Graz on the Thursday instead.  Looks like that might be played at Pod Goricom instead of their own ground, is that right?

On 12/07/2017 at 10:20 AM, adamntg said:

Cheers Barney.  My boys are a bit wee so maybe looking at Mladost v Sturm Graz on the Thursday instead.  Looks like that might be played at Pod Goricom instead of their own ground, is that right?

Sorry for the late response Adam, just back from ten days in Glasgow during which I've been offline.

Yes, the Mladost game will be played at the national stadium on Thursday. 

As an aside, the Partizan game is the first time a Serbian club has played in Montenegro since independence in 2005, so that makes Wednesday's game even more tasty.

On 10/07/2017 at 10:51 AM, scot scotland scottish said:

Ryanair do Stansted to Podgorica i think. (certainly did a few years ago as I went!)

They do - twice a week. But their connections to/from those flights to Scotland make them a non-starter.

Update - the second leg of Buducnost - Partizan was played tonight, and central Podgorica was in total lockdown from noon, with all bars shut and a long radius around the stadium being no-go. First time I've seen that happen, so tensions were probably high. Around 1500 visiting supporters, total crowd around 6000.

Game itself finished 0-0, so Partizan go through 2-0, but Buducnost missed two golden chances around the 75th minute, which if either goes in makes it a totally different game.

Adam - you probably made the correct decision to choose Thursday over tonight. Haven't experienced tension like this since I arrived.

Hi Barney - decided this morning to go tonight after all (pressure for the kids, they preferred Champions League to Europa...)

Hired a car this morning in Becici, drove up and got tickets no bother (although think they charged us €5 instead €3 cos we were foreigners).  Found ourselves underneath the varvari - my ears are still ringing.  I've been to a lot of football matches but I don't think I've come across an atmosphere like this before.  The burning of Partisan scarves was a little alarming - more so when they fell from the top tier and landed two rows in front of us. Decided at half time that we'd be leaving with 20 to go, largely because our hire car has Serbian plates and didn't fancy queuing to get out sitting in that!  If the ground holds 15,000 I'd have put the crowd around 10,000, no?  Looked pretty full apart from the Partisan end and the front three rows of our stand where the spit and the fires were...

For the game itself I thought Partisan were pretty comfortable, but it was hard to follow closely due to the constant, insane drumming.  

Also, the police weren't for letting anyone leave before full time a gates were padlocked, they eventually relented and let out only those trying to leave who had kids.  Phew. 

What a drive from Budva though, that road up the mountain could be the most beautiful drive I've ever had.  Unbelievable. 

On 7/17/2017 at 3:30 PM, Barney Rubble said:

They do - twice a week. But their connections to/from those flights to Scotland make them a non-starter.

Exactly. Each time I've attempted to book a flight to Montenegro connections either don't figure or the other option flying from Edinburgh results in 2 stopovers. I'm all for long journeys but taking up to 17hrs to arrive has prevented me going.  

Taking my second trip to Croatia, this time staying south of Dubrovnik to have easier access to visit Montenegro. Considering car hire for two days to see Mostar, Tivat and this impressive fortress: Sokol Kula.

sokol-grad-1.jpg?timestamp=1426946933

Still to look into car hire/cross border charges in comparison to going by bus. My preference is to be free to wander in my own time and not be restricted with a tour. Has anyone been to Sokal Grad above the Dunave in the Konavle region?  

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Mox said:

@Barney Rubble Off next week Barney, I know it's a long shot, but you have any knowledge of any pubs/bars that will be showing the Celtic game next week?

Take it you mean the Champions League game?

Arena Sport (local sports channel) have yet to announce their schedule for next Wednesday night. If they take it as one of their five games on the evening you should be able to find a place that will show it pretty easiliy. I'll keep my eye on the schedule and let you know.

On 22/09/2017 at 5:07 PM, Barney Rubble said:

Confirmed that Arena Sport are not taking the Celtic game on any of their five channels on Wednesday, Mox.

Like me, it looks like you'll have to rely on a stream.

Do they not know we are the biggest club in the world haha. Weather doesn't look too clever either, so could be an interesting week.

• 3 weeks later...

@Barney Rubble Had a tremendous time my man, what a place. Even though Kotor is quite small, I was still discovering new streets, bars and restaurants up to the last night and it truly is a beautiful wee place. A great base as well, went over to Perast by boat, cycled for miles, snorkeled in the blue caves, climbed the fortress at Kotor, kayaked in the adriatic and done a lot of relaxing. Great place and a great country with a rich history, will be back as soon as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a 7 night trip on a Gulet last year, booked it late, knew nothing about Montenegro and half expected it to be a bit run down. More than pleasantly surprised by Tivat where we started and finished with £300 million plus boats moored alongside our wee `pirate ship` , Perast was lovely and the trip through the bay to Kotor was stunning 

http://www.montenegroholidays.com/tours/gulet-cruise-itineraries