5 left backs! 0 Right backs - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 left backs! 0 Right backs

GaryWood34

I was having a wee play about with this on my lunch hour today :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37229944

I thought I would pick my team to start. I decided to go 4-2-3-1. Couldn't - no Right back. Decided to go 3-5-2. Couldn't because we have five (5!) left backs in the squad and shan centre backs.

Anya, Mulgrew, Wallace, Tierney and Robertson are our five left backs. Not one right back!

Now I am no international football manager but I would have two players for every position. 1 at a push but zero is just silly.

While I'm moaning - Sunday night 7.45pm is daft (£40 lol) and why are we still playing all these pieces of deadwood.

Those of you who have followed me on here for the last wee while will have known me as annoyingly positive at every turn. Aye, that's changed.

19 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

I thought I would pick my team to start. I decided to go 4-2-3-1. Couldn't - no Right back. Decided to go 3-5-2. Couldn't because we have five (5!) left backs in the squad and shan centre backs.

Anya, Mulgrew, Wallace, Tierney and Robertson are our five left backs. Not one right back!

Now I am no international football manager but I would have two players for every position. 1 at a push but zero is just silly.

While I'm moaning - Sunday night 7.45pm is daft (£40 lol) and why are we still playing all these pieces of deadwood.

Those of you who have followed me on here for the last wee while will have known me as annoyingly positive at every turn. Aye, that's changed.

Totally agree Gary. The manager has to take responsibility for the lack of a right back. 

Every team has one, so why can't he pick one? 

Too many players living off of memories of good performances. 

4 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Thats what strachen does.

11 hours ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

One name...Bardsley

Utterly baffling he isn't in the squad.

It really is mental isn't it.

He plays against Chelsea last week but not deemed good enough ahead of 3 left footed players that may play at right back?

I try to sit back and look at it from Gordon's point of view and ascertain what he is attempting here but I don't see it, can't see it. 

Ah I feel low at this upcoming match. 

Surely he can't stay in charge to oversee a 4th defeat to England in his time as boss. Christ.

7 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

It's somewhat cruel that with the current trend for playing 3 centre halves and wing backs, that Centre half is our weakest position, and we'd need to play 3 of them to make this work.

Berra - I don't understand it. Never have. At Hearts he has Pressley hold his hand every week. Since then he had back to back relegations with Wolves and seen them fall two division in two seasons. He has to have the worst centre back record per cap for goals conceded? Can anyone confirm?

Surely the time to play young hungry centre backs even if they are not ready. Souttar being one. I support Hearts and he's not great but that's how he would get great. There'll be others better than him.

Oh and while I am at it Jack Hamilton is not an international goalie and never will be. Weak, cannot kick, never clears danger and doesn't command his area. I'd say a good 75% of Hearts fans agree that he should be at Stenhousemuir or Airdrie learning to get strong.

He won't make it. Not even close to being a good goalkeeper. 

Its lazy from Strachan as had he scouted properly or even watched BBC Sportscene he would see that Fox, Bain, Jamie Mac and Woods are all better options.

3 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Oh and while I am at it Jack Hamilton is not an international goalie and never will be. Weak, cannot kick, never clears danger and doesn't command his area. I'd say a good 75% of Hearts fans agree that he should be at Stenhousemuir or Airdrie learning to get strong.

Its lazy from Strachan as had he scouted properly or even watched BBC Sportscene he would see that Fox, Bain, Jamie Mac and Woods are all better options.

Zander Clark is better than the lot.

6 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Surely the time to play young hungry centre backs even if they are not ready. Souttar being one. I support Hearts and he's not great but that's how he would get great. There'll be others better than him.

Being a Hearts fan surely you have noticed that he hasn't been playing recently  as he is out injured ?

I would like like to see the like of him, Lindsay and a few other young options getting a chance in the numerous 'friendlies' we will have later in the year.

I would agree with you point about Hamilton, hopefully he is sent out on loan to develop and we bring in an experienced keeper. He is not ready/good enough for Hearts and is nowhere near good enough for the Scotland squad.

should rotate the 3rd keeper position between the likes of Bain, Fox and Clark. 

we have 5 centre backs in the English championship. Three who are currently playing regularly

it's a simple case of picking which 2 of these three work best together

one right sided one left if available would be preferable

so its Martin and your choice of Berra/Mulgrew

then imperative you pick real full backs preferably playing at the highest possible level

so it's Bardsley and either Robertson /Tierney

play in a friendly to help gel

simple, surely

7 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Totally agree was very unimpressed with Hamilton at Pittodrie last week, Hearts fans - is he better this season than Neil Alexander was last season? I've been impressed with Zander Clark this season, Alan Mannus was one of the better keepers in the league so he is doing well to keep him out of the Saints team.

14 minutes ago, Dandydon said:

Totally agree was very unimpressed with Hamilton at Pittodrie last week, Hearts fans - is he better this season than Neil Alexander was last season? I've been impressed with Zander Clark this season, Alan Mannus was one of the better keepers in the league so he is doing well to keep him out of the Saints team.

It's been Hearts biggest mistake letting Jamie Mac leave then a mistake which was just as bad in letting Alexander go.

Hamilton isn't a young keeper that makes mistakes and you can accept them because you see something in him (Gordon). He is a young keeper which doesn't do anything right. I remember one good save. That's it. 

Considine has been a steady performer for Aberdeen for last 18 months to 2 years. 

Not the best they're will ever be,but surely worth a punt?

Also agree with other players that have been mentioned,even for a look and nothing else if it doesn't work,but surely change has to come eventually. 

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Considine has been a steady performer for Aberdeen for last 18 months to 2 years. 

Not the best they're will ever be,but surely worth a punt?

Also agree with other players that have been mentioned,even for a look and nothing else if it doesn't work,but surely change has to come eventually. 

The Canada match was the perfect opportunity to give an untried CB a chance. Strachan, being the weak manager he is opted for his buddies. He doesn't deserve the privilege of being national manager. It's a job he's treated with nowhere near enough respect