Scotland squad: - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad:

kmcca5

Scotland squad: Gordon (Celtic), Marshall (Hull), McGregor (Cardiff on loan from Hull; Berra (Ipswich), Mulgrew (Blackburn) Hanley (Newcastle), R Martin (Norwich), Wallace (Rangers); Tierney (Celtic), Robertson (Hull); Anya (Derby), Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday), Brown (Celtic), Armstrong (Celtic), Burke (Leipzig), D Fletcher (West Brom), Forrest (Celtic), Cairney (Fulham), Fraser (Bournemouth), McArthur (Crystal Palace), McGinn (Hibernian), Morrison (West Brom), Phillips (West Brom) Ritchie (Newcastle); Snodgrass (West Ham); S Fletcher (Sheffield Wednesday), Griffiths (Celtic), Naismith (Norwich), C Martin (Fulham on loan from Derby) Jordan Rhodes (Sheffield Wednesday on loan from Middlesbrough).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 left backs,
no right backs,
7 central midfielders,
5 center forwards for a team which plays one.

Good to see Fraser, Philips, Armstrong and Cairney..

I figure Brown's unlikely to play against Canada, but could we see a center midfield of Bannan, Armstrong, Cairney? Part of me wants us to go with 2 up top and give our wingers something to hit, but I'm just not convinced we'll do it.

38 minutes ago, andyD said:

4 left backs,
no right backs,
7 central midfielders,
5 center forwards for a team which plays one.

Good to see Fraser, Philips, Armstrong and Cairney..

I figure Brown's unlikely to play against Canada, but could we see a center midfield of Bannan, Armstrong, Cairney? Part of me wants us to go with 2 up top and give our wingers something to hit, but I'm just not convinced we'll do it.

Fraser Armstrong Cairney Burke would be my Canada shout.

35 minutes ago, Debian said:

Fraser Armstrong Cairney Burke would be my Canada shout.

Thing is, we're unlikely to shift to 442 for the qualifiers, we'll almost certainly continue with 451, so the friendly will use the same system to give these new players a shot at playing that system.

Expecting something like this for Canada:

Marshall
Anya - Martin - Mulgrew - Tierney
Fletcher - Armstrong
Phillips - Snodgrass - Fraser
Fletcher

Cairney will probably get the 2nd half. I hope he scores, but even then I'm not sure he'd force his way in for the game that matters.

Quite depressing when you look at that squad. 

Is it good enough to beat Lithuania at home, is it good enough not to get destroyed in Slovakia? I say yes to both, shows how dismal we have been. 

Edited by kumnio

2 hours ago, kmcca5 said:

Scotland squad: Gordon (Celtic), Marshall (Hull), McGregor (Cardiff on loan from Hull; Berra (Ipswich), Mulgrew (Blackburn) Hanley (Newcastle), R Martin (Norwich), Wallace (Rangers); Tierney (Celtic), Robertson (Hull); Anya (Derby), Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday), Brown (Celtic), Armstrong (Celtic), Burke (Leipzig), D Fletcher (West Brom), Forrest (Celtic), Cairney (Fulham), Fraser (Bournemouth), McArthur (Crystal Palace), McGinn (Hibernian), Morrison (West Brom), Phillips (West Brom) Ritchie (Newcastle); Snodgrass (West Ham); S Fletcher (Sheffield Wednesday), Griffiths (Celtic), Naismith (Norwich), C Martin (Fulham on loan from Derby) Jordan Rhodes (Sheffield Wednesday on loan from Middlesbrough).

He wont do it but seeing as the Chelsea 3-4-3 is flavor of the month for some clubs:

GK

R Martin, Berra, Wallace

Anya, Brown, Fletcher, Tierney

Armstrong, ST, Fraser

Easily becomes a 5-4-1 when defending. When attacking we still keep 3 back plus a midfielder in-front for cover and plenty going forward. Gives our best assets (attacking full backs) more freedom.

Edited by Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah

Pleased to see Armstrong, Cairney, Fraser and Phillips in there.

Disappointed that there's no Bardsley or Sam Gallagher (not that that I expected there to be).

What is unforgivable, though, is the omission of Liam Lindsay!  :shocked:

How on earth anyone things Wallace should be in a starting lineup is beyond me.

If we were to play 343 I'd go with:

Gordon
Martin - Berra - Tierney
Cairney - Brown - Armstrong - Robertson
Burke - Rhodes - Fraser

I think Brown and Armstrong have a decent chance of starting as the central pair against Slovenia.
Fletcher's the main one playing regularly at club level. While McArthur's make appearances, they've been off the bench for Palace lately. Morrison plays, but is in and out of the West Brom starting lineup. So if it's not Brown & Armstrong, it'll likely be Brown and Fletcher. Personally, I think Fletcher's done and has been for a while. I'd harp on about Kevin McDonald again, but no one's listening by this point. ;)

Armstrong and Fraser should play on form. Tierney and Robertson as full backs to see how it works. if okay in first half, have them switch flanks in the second half. like to also see Rhodes play - every player who is in form playing in their natural position (bar Roberston and/or Tierney) and no nonsense about shoe-horning into a 4-2-3-1 or whatever the feck Strachan persists with that clearly is not working..........

1 minute ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Think it is a strong squad and don't see anyone who is laying claim to be in squad who isn't picked. It should be capable of winning next two games.

Wallace was our best player v England and fully merits place in squad.

Phil Bardsley.

There are no right backs in the squad whatsoever and the right back we have playing at the highest level isn't included in a squad which includes 3 left backs.

1 minute ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Armstrong and Fraser should play on form. Tierney and Robertson as full backs to see how it works. if okay in first half, have them switch flanks in the second half. like to also see Rhodes play - every player who is in form playing in their natural position (bar Roberston and/or Tierney) and no nonsense about shoe-horning into a 4-2-3-1 or whatever the feck Strachan persists with that clearly is not working..........

Good idea,but will he try it?

1 hour ago, Dairbee said:

Anya has played right back a few times for Derby this season.

He has done ok, actually, he has been better in defence than he has playing further forward. 

Anya and Martin are the right backs in the squad

obviously though Anya, who isnt really a right back, will play there as Martin must play centre back

the Canada game will throw up no surprises in formation and I expect our (Strachan’s idea of) strongest 11 to play, as preparation for Slovenia

Cairney will make an appearance in the Canada game, he looks excellent and I'd be tempted to start him in both games

and pick real right backs

Edited by Bino's

Agree disappointing about Gallagher as he's going to be a player would be good to find out the storey

liam Lindsay and Phil Bardsley both should have  been in the squad - still think Charlie Adam had something but all about opinions 

guess Murray Wallace needs to be playing in Championship 

1 hour ago, FANDABBYDOZZY said:

prefer to see players play their natural position, could even stick a youngster in the squad

I may be wrong about this but thought Russel Martin had played lots of games for

Norwich at RB. A couple of season ago perhaps.