Cocaine addiction - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cocaine addiction

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

Yeah sorry, I don't feel too compassionate for people who do coke and start fights with strangers when they have family at home. stupid.

I didn't actually start the fight, but I could and should have walked away, so I still take your point. 

I also agree that it's my problem to sort out, nobody is forcing me to take it. My reason for the thread was to confirm if I did indeed have a problem with it, although I think it should have been fairly obvious that I do and to see if anyone else has been in the same boat.

I'd prefer not to cut friends out of my life and have just have more will power when it comes to taking it, but if that's what I need to do then I absolutely will.

1 hour ago, Freeedom said:

where did I say that ? I said it is up to him to sort himself out, nobody brought on his problems but himself.

The self awareness from Reevesy is clear. You riding in on your high horse has not added anything. 

The guy has been brave enough to initiate a discussion and you've resorted to point scoring. Top effort. 

37 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

I didn't actually start the fight, but I could and should have walked away, so I still take your point. 

I also agree that it's my problem to sort out, nobody is forcing me to take it. My reason for the thread was to confirm if I did indeed have a problem with it, although I think it should have been fairly obvious that I do and to see if anyone else has been in the same boat.

I'd prefer not to cut friends out of my life and have just have more will power when it comes to taking it, but if that's what I need to do then I absolutely will.

I'm glad you are trying to sort it out, for the sake of your wife and kids as much as anything else, I think you should cut your friends loose because one way or another they will get you doing a line again but if you think otherwise I believe you. A dad in prison is not a good look and if thats where you end up or you lose your job, I can't say that you didn't deserve it. There's a lot at stake for you I hope you make the right decisions.

7 minutes ago, they've_been_suckered said:

The self awareness from Reevesy is clear. You riding in on your high horse has not added anything. 

The guy has been brave enough to initiate a discussion and you've resorted to point scoring. Top effort. 

I don't care less for point scoring, I care about right and wrong. If he wasn't a Dad I couldn't care less what he does but the welfare of his kids are at stake and they don't deserve it. He needs a boot up the baws not coddled from you.

9 hours ago, Freeedom said:

I'm glad you are trying to sort it out, for the sake of your wife and kids as much as anything else, I think you should cut your friends loose because one way or another they will get you doing a line again but if you think otherwise I believe you. A dad in prison is not a good look and if thats where you end up or you lose your job, I can't say that you didn't deserve it. There's a lot at stake for you I hope you make the right decisions.

I don't care less for point scoring, I care about right and wrong. If he wasn't a Dad I couldn't care less what he does but the welfare of his kids are at stake and they don't deserve it. He needs a boot up the baws not coddled from you.

I think evidence would show that a 'boot up the baws' is not always the best way to deal with a situation. I should know, I am from the days a boot up the baws was the only idea on offer.

Not everyone has the same self control as you Freedom. As suckered has said, Reevesy has shown a lot of self awareness and in my view has been pretty brave starting this thread.  I could be wrong but I think he will get a lot more from the positive suggestions people have made ( and in fairness you have made some too) than simply been told to get a grip. 

Reading between the lines he has possibly turned his life around from his younger days, with the right support I am sure he will do the same with his current issue. 

15 hours ago, Freeedom said:

Congratulations, it's only just March and you've been shortlisted for the TAMB awards.

'Most Patronising Post of the Year'

Well done in opening up.

It's hard to do, but will be one of the best things you can do in terms of getting sorted out.

Not a similar issue, but I'd been struggling for a while with anxiety & depression, seeing GP etc and trying to deal with it with only a very small number of others being aware.

Opening up publicly was the biggest catalyst in my improvement.

Hopefully starting this thread will do likewise with you here.

Good luck.

Best of luck, Reevesy. 

I've never been in your situation or known anyone close who has. So what i'm about to say might be a heap of pish... 

I don't necessarily agree with the "get new pals" chat. I think it is important to make clear to them though that you're off it (and be serious about that) and tell them the reasons. Only an arsehole wouldn't understand that you value your family over getting off your face on coke and that you don't want  to jepordise any of that by doing something daft when you're off your face. 

However if you truly are an addict and cannot resist when the temptation is there and others are partaking, then clearly you need to remove yourself from that situation. Surely there must be others in your group who aren't interested in that? 

To be honest, when i go out with my mates our nights always centre around going to the pub. Not necessarily to get smashed and never for drugs but it's always a few pints and a bit of a laugh. I don't there's anything wrong with that to be honest. Having a few pints and watching/going to the football with your pals is one of life's simple pleasures.

Edited by Parklife

15 hours ago, Freeedom said:

, I think you should cut your friends loose because one way or another they will get you doing a line again but if you think otherwise I believe you. 

I think your advice has been fair enough for the most part, I've tried to get a mate to stop gambling in the past and gave them a similar tough approach to it, although not sure it was greatly successful as I'm certain that they're still doing it, although he denies it.

Only issue I'd have is with the bit quoted above. Nobody is getting me to do it other than myself. I wouldn't expect people to stop something that they're in control of, and enjoy, just because I've been going too far with it. I wouldn't be looking to cut them loose for going to the pub at the weekends if I was looking to give up drinking, for example.

Up until now I have always had the attitude of "that could never happen to me" when hearing other people's horror stories, but clearly that was naive, and I feel like it has now hit me that I can't be taking it at all. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had a break from it since the Old Firm game on Hogmanay and my time off it was pretty productive, managed to get a couple of trips abroad booked and my kids' full christening all paid for with the money I wasn't wasting, been going to the gym at least 3 times a week too. That's what I want my life to be like, not sitting feeling like an embarrassment who can't remember how I got home or taking lines off a public toilet by myself.

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Best of luck, Reevesy. 

I've never been in your situation or known anyone close who has. So what i'm about to say might be a heap of pish... 

I don't necessarily agree with the "get new pals" chat. I think it is important to make clear to them though that you're off it (and be serious about that) and tell them the reasons. Only an arsehole wouldn't understand that you value your family over getting off your face on coke and you don't to jepordise any of that by doing something daft when you're off your face. 

However if you truly are an addict and cannot resist when the temptation is there and others are partaking, then clearly you need to remove yourself from that situation. Surely there must be others in your group who aren't interested in that? 

To be honest, when i go out with my mates our nights always centre around going to the pub. Not necessarily to get smashed and never for drugs but it's always a few pints and a bit of a laugh. I don't there's anything wrong with that to be honest. Having a few pints and watching/going to the football with your pals is one of life's simple pleasures.

Cheers mate.

There are others who aren't interested in it so it's not like I will be the only one not doing, it's just that it does always seem to be there, especially at the football. There's some nights that I'm as bad as anyone for suggesting we get it dropped off if I'm honest but I do want to get out the habit. I've only now realised (or admitted) the past few days that I can't take it "socially" in the way that an alcoholic can't just have a few pints, always thought I've had it under control but that weekend/Monday isn't the sign of someone who's controlling it. I'm going to keep this in mind going forward and use it as motivation to forget all about it.

41 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Well done in opening up.

It's hard to do, but will be one of the best things you can do in terms of getting sorted out.

Not a similar issue, but I'd been struggling for a while with anxiety & depression, seeing GP etc and trying to deal with it with only a very small number of others being aware.

Opening up publicly was the biggest catalyst in my improvement.

Hopefully starting this thread will do likewise with you here.

Good luck.

Thanks Cove Sheep.

I imagine you'd have found that other people knowing was a weight off your shoulders cos you're not hiding it any more. I'd say the same for this, although I'm not comparing the two obviously cos mines is self inflicted unlike yours. Think my partner has been relieved to finally hear me admit I have a problem rather than making out that she just worries too much, or I'm just having a laugh and know what I'm doing etc. 

Not going to bother telling my Mum cos she is oblivious to it as I never see her when I'm on it but going to speak to my pals when i see them in person, it's not really the kind of talk for the group chat.

Best of luck to you too.

17 hours ago, Reevesy said:

Tell yer mates you have been diagnosed with a heart murmer -- canny risk it lads 2 weans and aw that.

Since you've not mentioned the ages of your kids I would assume they are pretty young. Later in life you are going to be extremely hypocritical when talking to them about the dangers of drugs even if you manage to get it back to the occasional line every few months. You really have to believe what you are preaching to your kids.

How do you think they will feel if they ever discover your addiction, whether it be drink or drugs, it will play on their minds for years to come.

The better weather (lol) is just around the corner, why not organise a few weekends with some of your mates who also have kids and try to limit but not eliminate the drink altogether and I bet the kids and wives will love it.

(all written through experience)

The fact you've started this thread and internally thought your use is a problem is a sign that yes, it's time to make changes. It's too easy to say drugs are bad, while people love booze etc but when it's impacting on your day to day life, then as you say, maybe it's time to alter things. 

Good luck! There's likely loads of resources online and via services to help you. 

2 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

Since you've not mentioned the ages of your kids I would assume they are pretty young. Later in life you are going to be extremely hypocritical when talking to them about the dangers of drugs even if you manage to get it back to the occasional line every few months. You really have to believe what you are preaching to your kids.

How do you think they will feel if they ever discover your addiction, whether it be drink or drugs, it will play on their minds for years to come.

Don't think that's fair, plus I wouldn't assume how someone will talk to their kids about drugs. 

2 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

The better weather (lol) is just around the corner, why not organise a few weekends with some of your mates who also have kids and try to limit but not eliminate the drink altogether and I bet the kids and wives will love it.

(all written through experience)

Surely it's perfectly normal for parents to be hypocritical when it comes to their kids?

Dont know many people who would say "just go and make the same mistakes as me, cos I'd just be a hypocrite to advise you not to"

man up. quit the fu#ing gear and start a savings account for your kids. stick in the equivalent you were hoovering up your selfish hooter each month.....then when they're old enough they can spend it on space age crack or similar......no don' t thank me. ....really its fine.

1 hour ago, gusmac said:

man up. quit the fu#ing gear and start a savings account for your kids. stick in the equivalent you were hoovering up your selfish hooter each month.....then when they're old enough they can spend it on space age crack or similar......no don' t thank me. ....really its fine.

First of all, they already have a savings account.

Secondly, if you had bothered reading my posts then you see I don't take it each month.

Thirdly, a gimp who hides behind the internet to tell someone that their kids are going to take crack when they're older has no business telling anyone to "man up". If you said that to me in person, at the game on Wednesday for example, then you'd get a broken jaw on the spot.

On Tuesday, March 07, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Reevesy said:

I enquired last week about joining the Gracie Barra gym in the town to do kickboxing so that could be a start.

Why do junkies always want to be kickboxers?

Edited by neil r

10 hours ago, gusmac said:

What an ignorant, bawbagish post. 

Try to ignore idiots like gusmac. They think they are so perfect and can do no wrong but usually they are the ones with the most problems. They think if they bring others down it makes them better when in fact they only make them selves look worse. You have taken the first and possibly hardest step in recognising that things are going wrong and are starting to sort it out. Keep it up and you will get there. Always know there are those on here who will happily help you and give you the encouragement to better yourself