2017 Gig Thread - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 Gig Thread

32 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

hate to say it but when it comes to the popular stuff, us Scots are an awfy pished up, brutal crowd.

Never understood why you'd pay a fortune for a gig ticket then get so pished that even if you make it into the venue you can't remember any of it.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Sounds like Stone Roses should've played the Hydro instead....

Mate was at Belfast midweek said it was much better.  Another at Leeds and the same.  Both not a Saturday either.

5 hours ago, Alan said:

I told you Cathcart.  Go to Cathcart!  Trains were still running.

I know mate, but 2 lassies nipping at my heed and refusing to walk away from the town weren't worth the hassle. 

They soon realised I was right half an hour into our stomp though :lol:

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Never understood why you'd pay a fortune for a gig ticket then get so pished that even if you make it into the venue you can't remember any of it.

To be fair, it's the only way you can endure following the national team for any length of time so it's probably just stuck when attending stadium concerts and the like   

18 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I thought they were decent but not as good as Etihaad last year. 

Never encountered any of the above though although I was in about 6ish as mates wanted to see Steve Mason. Pretty easy entry once had been though metal detectors, got tokens for drink in a couple of minutes at top of West Stand, got a pint within a couple of minutes too. Got some more drinks during early part of Primal Scream set under South Stand. Never seen any bother.

I was left hand side of stage in front of disabled bit for first part of gig, as said, decent. Went and found a mate who had got lost going to toilet and then we both went in the very front, both sound and atmosphere a lot better there. A very good end to the gig due to being in there.

Only bit of "bad behaviour" was young lads setting off a flare next to us at Sally Cinnamon, seemed more a flame throwing sparkler than a flare, spat hot shit everywhere and made a lot of "popping" noises. I ended up with a small hole in the back of my (thankfully dog walking) cagoul, my mates Barbour got a few burns, as did his hair. The young lads mates came of worst though, one had his probably very expensive Stone Island jacket left very damaged, another had an entire sweatshirt destroyed.

Definitely a TITP crowd though, again the Etihaad beat it hands down for good crowd atmosphere, everyone friendly and up for it.

Agree with that, Manchester crowd had a lot less bams.

Hampden is a shambles at times. Doubt I'd go back for a gig.

17 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

quite a few folk saying TiTP crowd and we all get it.

hate to say it but when it comes to the popular stuff, us Scots are an awfy pished up, brutal crowd.

Not sure if it's a particularly Scottish thing, certainly not in comparison to the rest of the U.K.

I've been to a lot of gigs and the Stones Roses at Finsbury Park in 2014 was the most pished up, off it's tits crowd I've seen in years.   

I suspect the common factors between that and Hampden were that it was in the summer, gig was on a Saturday, people on the lash all day and the fact that the Stone Roses appeal to a crowd that albeit older are a bit "mad for it". 

I suspect if Oasis ever reformed it would be ten times worse. 

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

I once slept through a U2 gig then went to see them sober, the first gig was much better.

:lol:

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Not sure if it's a particularly Scottish thing, certainly not in comparison to the rest of the U.K.

I've been to a lot of gigs and the Stones Roses at Finsbury Park in 2014 was the most pished up, off it's tits crowd I've seen in years.   

I suspect the common factors between that and Hampden were that it was in the summer, gig was on a Saturday, people on the lash all day and the fact that the Stone Roses appeal to a crowd that albeit older are a bit "mad for it". 

^ This.

I vowed never to go back to a open air Stadium Gig again - this was over 20 years ago. The sound is crap, too many pissed up louts (women were always worse), squeezed in like cattle with some BIG tall ####er in front of you. Guys pissing where they stand, and the worst ever, the pints of warm piss being chucked forwards.

The worst I saw, and this was just the straw that broke the camels back, was some chick squatting at the front of the Main Stage at T in the Park, about of a third of the way back, but in front of the mixing desk in full view of everyone, for what everyone thought was a cheeky piss, but dropped a big massive brown curler. I'd seen it near the men's cubicles a couple of years previously - but this had to be the absolute worse. She even got up, pulled up her kecks, looked around to see what she had left behind, grimaced, shrugged and then staggered into the crowd to get away from what she had left behind her.  Reckon she was in her late 30's early 40's, arse like a plumbers toolbag, 

I like getting tanked up a little before a gig, it's part of the deal as long as you can hold your drink and not be upsetting others and being happy and friendly to others. 

On 25/06/2017 at 11:16 PM, thplinth said:

How is Ed Sheeran famous. So bland... Complete mystery to me.

I thought i was the only person in the world not to get the attraction of Ed Sheeran. His music just washes over my head. I particularly dont get  the one about the old country roads. Sounds like it has been wriitten in 3 mins for the mass American market.

How many old dusty country roads take you home in the Uk? There is a distinct lack of them whilst making your way home to the 14 th floor of a high flat in Paisley I can tell you. 

Just now, TDYER63 said:

I thought i was the only person in the world not to get the attraction of Ed Sheeran. His music just washes over my head. I particularly dont get  the one about the old country roads. Sounds like it has been wriitten in 3 mins for the mass American market.

How many old dusty country roads take you home in the Uk? There is a distinct lack of them whilst making your way home to the 14 th floor of a high flat in Paisley I can tell you. 

Though i suppose there is Johnstone castle on the hill .

On 25/06/2017 at 10:16 PM, thplinth said:

How is Ed Sheeran famous. So bland... Complete mystery to me.

I posted exactly this on my FB page during Glastonbury, and turns out there are lots and lots of folk who feel exactly the same way. Admittedly all older. My wife really likes him, so I have to listen to his p!sh about Doncing in the Dork all the time.

My son's in London to see Green Day today at Hyde Park. Don't know if they're any good, but I did like that Time of our Life song.

Edited by Stapes

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

The Skids were superb in Glen Pavilion last night. Had hummed and hawed all week about going but glad I did, excellent gig. And only 1 new song. And played Albert Tatlock. 

Did they do TV Stars as "Theresa May, Boris Johnson,..."?

2 hours ago, Stapes said:

I posted exactly this on my FB page during Glastonbury, and turns out there are lots and lots of folk who feel exactly the same way. Admittedly all older. My wife really likes him, so I have to listen to his p!sh about Doncing in the Dork all the time.

My son's in London to see Green Day today at Hyde Park. Don't know if they're any good, but I did like that Time of our Life song.

I quite like Ed Sheeran. Wouldn't go see him, but catchy music and he's a very clever lyricist, is that the right word?

Green Day are very good. Seen them at Glasgow Green and titp. 

He took people up on stage at the Glasgow green gig to play instruments for one of the songs and proceeded to let them take it all home. A 12 year old was in the paper a couple of days later with a full drum kit, his mum wasn't impressed with them :rollsmile:

1 hour ago, Jon Cutler said:

Brilliant Skids gig at Glen Pavilion last night. Did laugh at the nugget Weegie in toilets asking folk i' im fae Govan who's wanting a fight' People make Glasgow ?

? Never seen him but was only in once. Had forgotten how hot the Glen gets for a gig. Will be a few tired limbs the day no doubt.

On 27/06/2017 at 9:15 AM, aaid said:

Aye, there was some amount of casualties cutting about that day. I stayed in Harringay at the time and me and the g/f ended up walking over to Finsbury Park with a few beers and after the first two songs we got talking to a tout and bought two tickets for 30 quid. Was glad to see them live but it was all a bit underwhelming  and as you said, some amount of roasters floating about.

Got a good few gigs coming up over the next few months which I am looking forward to. Nas in July, Optimo 20th birthday event at SWG3, Run The Jewels, Little Dragon, Thundercat and Mount Kimbie in October/November. Apart from the Optimo event, not one gig on a Friday or Saturday, total pish.

On 1 July 2017 at 11:42 AM, Jon Cutler said:

Brilliant Skids gig at Glen Pavilion last night. Did laugh at the nugget Weegie in toilets asking folk i' im fae Govan who's wanting a fight' People make Glasgow ?

I saw the Skids supporting the Stranglers in Cambridge around 1977 - one of their first gigs. I'd never heard of them but they were excellent. 

Non stop energy. Jobson & Adamson were superb & blew the Stranglers off stage.

Stranglers stopped playing halfway through as some idiots in the crowd were spitting. Hugh Cornwell was particularly pissed off & told the audience it was hard enough playing 'an axe' without eejits gobbing on it & if they didn't stop they were off.

On 01/07/2017 at 1:31 PM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

? Never seen him but was only in once. Had forgotten how hot the Glen gets for a gig. Will be a few tired limbs the day no doubt.

A bit daft paying £25 for a ticket to go looking for fight :lol:. Good few fat baldies having a great time.

9 hours ago, silverbear said:

I saw the Skids supporting the Stranglers in Cambridge around 1977 - one of their first gigs. I'd never heard of them but they were excellent. 

Non stop energy. Jobson & Adamson were superb & blew the Stranglers off stage.

Stranglers stopped playing halfway through as some idiots in the crowd were spitting. Hugh Cornwell was particularly pissed off & told the audience it was hard enough playing 'an axe' without eejits gobbing on it & if they didn't stop they were off.

Did they not support The Clash a blow them off stage too?

13 hours ago, Jon Cutler said:

A bit daft paying £25 for a ticket to go looking for fight :lol:. Good few fat baldies having a great time.

Did they not support The Clash a blow them off stage too?

It wouldn't surprise me.

They were excellent that night.