Mayweather vs McGregor - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mayweather vs McGregor

euan2020

http://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/38978420

Apart from the money which is obvious

Why would either of them consider participating in each other's discipline, where effectively their ability would be no better than an amateur (my opinion)  ? 

Mcgregor would get picked off in 1st round i think  (although Mickey Rourke turned his hand to boxing ) 

I also think there was a footballer recently who went to UFC

Edited by euan2020

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGregor wont get stopped in 1. He is huge compared to Mayweather. this is what Mcgregor looks like making 146 he is like a skeleton with a skin graft.

He's never going to be competitive in a boxing match, but his left hand is special, So fast and precise. I wonder if he could at least land it once and see what happens.

The reason the fight might happen is it will make some folk really rich.

UFC-196-McGregor-JPEG-08c55-2

The other difference is Mcgregor actually has thousands of rounds of boxing under his belt, he used to train at steve collins brothers gym,especially for the Diaz 2 fight. Nate was one of Andre Wards main sparring partners for Chad Dawson (or any southpaw). They're not amateurs Ward speaks highly of Nate's boxing and Conor's is better than his. Although it's nowhere near Mayweathers level. McGregor has a way of surprising folk, I put money on Aldo beating him and he just slept him in 13 seconds.

54 minutes ago, phart said:

The reason the fight might happen is it will make some folk really rich.

But it'll only happen if it makes Mayweather the richest of them all (and by some distance). He's been making guys dance to his tune outside the ring for years, McGregor is just the latest in a long line of fighters to put out the begging bowl for Mayweather. 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

But it'll only happen if it makes Mayweather the richest of them all (and by some distance). He's been making guys dance to his tune outside the ring for years, McGregor is just the latest in a long line of fighters to put out the begging bowl for Mayweather. 

Mayweather mentioned Mcgregor first. McGregor just wants the money and thinks he can knock him out. It's like making a hero all in call at poker. If it comes off then he becomes the biggest draw.

McGregor is also in contract renegotiation's with UFC so might be using this as leverage. Considering Ronda is done Jones is banned, they only have one major draw atm.

Mayweather is a greedy buffoon that wants the world to kneel at his feet and will probably take another ko if the money is right,that'll make him look even more righteous. 

Hope McGregor sparks him out very quickly and everyone that pays 20 quid to watch it is left seriously disappointed. 

My mistake,mayweather made the ko for the money at wrestlemania. 

Edited by dandydunn

On 2/22/2017 at 9:48 AM, dandydunn said:

Mayweather is a greedy buffoon

One thing Mayweather is not is a "buffoon". He's probably behind on Ali in his self promotion abilities. 

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Pure boxing as far as i know.

Wow. If that is the case, I can't believe people will pay for this(actually I can):rolleyes:

Mayweather will dance around round after round making a fortune and a mockery out of it. I understand there's a 12 year age gap but on pure boxing if there was no pishing around, even at 40 Mayweather would sparkle him in a minute.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Wow. If that is the case, I can't believe people will pay for this(actually I can):rolleyes:

Mayweather will dance around round after round making a fortune and a mockery out of it. I understand there's a 12 year age gap but on pure boxing if there was no pishing around, even at 40 Mayweather would sparkle him in a minute.

Mayweather isn't sparking him. Conor is huge compared to him. He will probably do to him what he did to Gatti.

Surely there is much more money to be made from boxing than UFC, and at a generally lower risk. So if McGregor is a good enough boxer to put up a reasonable fight against Mayweather, then he should have been a full time boxer all along. Does anyone know whether top boxers at a similar weight, like Canelo Alvarez, would be richer than McGregor?

1 hour ago, The Giant said:

Surely there is much more money to be made from boxing than UFC, and at a generally lower risk. So if McGregor is a good enough boxer to put up a reasonable fight against Mayweather, then he should have been a full time boxer all along. Does anyone know whether top boxers at a similar weight, like Canelo Alvarez, would be richer than McGregor?

Generally there is, but mcgregor is a ppv darling.

Alvarez last pay per view did 300k max. Him versus Khan did 600k. Floyd v Alvarez did 2,2 million i think.

McGregor's last 4/5 all did over 1 million with them topping out at 1.6 million.

Purses are not disclosed.

He trained in a MMA gym (Straight blast gym Dublin) with the first irish Brazilian Jujitsu blackbelt.So maybe just more natural to fight MMA He goes to Pascal Collins (Steve Collins) boxing gym as well.Steve Collins was going to walk out with him on his Boston debut but had a clash of schedules.

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, slasher said:

This pre fight hype-athon is getting on my tits. Anyone who pays the ppv fee to watch this is tapped. Mayweather will box the face off him inside 5 rounds ?

Most one-way contest since Slasher vs Rossy. 

McGregor looked much bigger than mayweather at the press conference I thought. Small legs small head small core... I would not be at all surprised if mayweather won but  came no where knocking him out. Maybe even with the crowd turning on him for basically running while scoring with mostly meaningless punches. Sort of like all his fights. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know who Gregory Gaultier is ?

He's the current No1 Squash Player in the World ....

Anyone think he would beat Andy Murray at Tennis - Ddin't think so....

So why does anyone think McGregor has any chance against Mayweather --- Sorry UFC fans, your boy has literally no chance whatsoever -- He will be lucky to land - literally- a single punch

Love him, or loathe him Mayweather is a defensive genius -- This fight ... sorry farce... will end whenever he says -- If he wants to KO McG in 10 seconds, he will ... If he wanst to dance for 12 rounds, win every one and KO himat 2.59 in the 12th, he will ...If Mayweather decides to ask someone at ringside to name the round they want it to end, he will...if he wants to play with McGregor for 12 rounds and engineer a "draw" so they both get even richer in the rematch, he will....

The only certainty of this whole farce is that McGregor has absolutely no influence on the end "result"

2 hours ago, phart said:

I'll bet you any amount up to £500 that he lands two punches or more the entire fight.

I'll not be betting, because I don't know whether Mayweather has decided he'll let him land a few or not -- If I knew for a fact Mayweather was going to treat this "fight" as he should and go out and finish it within 30 seconds I may strike a bet - But who knows what Mayweather will do - He may be conscious of the huge ticket / PPV prices and drag it out a while

14 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

I'll not be betting, because I don't know whether Mayweather has decided he'll let him land a few or not -- If I knew for a fact Mayweather was going to treat this "fight" as he should and go out and finish it within 30 seconds I may strike a bet - But who knows what Mayweather will do - He may be conscious of the huge ticket / PPV prices and drag it out a while

Mayweather has a 99.5% chance of winning but all this can finish it in 30 seconds if he wants is just nonsense, McGregor won't hit him nonsense. I'm just offering bets in case someone is daft enough to actually believe it and i can cash in big,

Mayweather has fecked hands and is using 10 ounce gloves in the fight.

McGregor has sparred thousands of rounds boxing at Pascal Collins boxing gym.

Mayweather is going to win.

Edited by phart