Those Crazy 12 Days Before The Election - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Those Crazy 12 Days Before The Election

Was there anything done by the No campaign and media that was genuinely breaking any laws.

I know the 45 feel incredibly hard done by regarding the TV and press bias, leaked government e-mails inviting banks, supermarkets and mobile companies to go public concerning their stance against independence and the last minute Devo-Max offer in the days leading up to the referendum.

But...was there anything done which would stand up in court. Did BBC's coverage act in accordance with being a publicly funded organisation?

Is there some way that it would be possible to get on record that the 45 WERE shafted in the last few days before the polls opened?

Or was ultimately everything done above board and can just be put down to typical campaigning dirty tricks?

I suppose someone could investigate it but I suspect it would not be possible to lay a finger on the BBC as they can just say they followed their guidelines, (even if their guidelines for impartiality don't cover against being institutionally unionist - institutionally British :whistling: - yes the clue is in the name). The Iraq war inquiries - what did they find?

On a party political level, I suppose the SNP etc can't afford to be seen as bad losers.

However, if the public feel cheated then that doesn't stop people channelling that to put pressure on politicians that the issue has not gone away, or to act to vote with feet wherever it's possible to defy the BBC or find alternatives...

Instead of whinging about it, we need to buckle down and think about the next few years and how we can best go about building for another referendum in the future.

Any complaints are more likely to harden the position of the Nos - they will be of the 'I told you so' opinion, and will be glad that they didn't vote for a side that starts finger pointing and shifting the blame. Furthermore, some 'soft Yes' people may be put off be the whinging.

The Nos are already starting to show their true colours. We just need to sit back and watch them slit their own throats. Wait for the Vow to deteriorate and hope that the English vote to exit the EU, while we vote to stay in the EU. That will open up an avenue for another referendum

We need to take stock and work out where things went wrong, and work out strategies to deal with how we can convince any previously undecided voters to vote Yes next time round.

The first step in this is going to be voting for SNP at next year's general election. A vote for Labour is a vote for English colonisation and would set us back years.

Edited by tartandon