Getting rid of Sky - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Getting rid of Sky

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got Kodi and not sure why you'd need to subscribe to anything like that. I have access to every movie I want to watch (new ones running around three months behind) and pretty much every sports game in the world streamed live (albeit with varying quality).

58 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

1 of the original thread 

best option to get decent streaming is get Kodi or android box, and then subscribe to what you want to watch - netflix for movies etc & maybe sportsnation/sportsmania for sports 

Definately sportsmania.eu for the fitba (and pretty much any other sport you can imagine).

10 hours ago, Stapes said:

I just got Kodi and not sure why you'd need to subscribe to anything like that. I have access to every movie I want to watch (new ones running around three months behind) and pretty much every sports game in the world streamed live (albeit with varying quality).

there's you answer - sportsmania is around GBP 50 a year for Sky HD Quality 

Get a zgemma box loaded with a sky skin. Cost about £120 including 12 month sub. £20 per year to renew.

Hook it up with your satellite dish cables and wireless broadband. You're picking up broadcasts not streams so no buffering etc.

Youll get all the sky channels, BT sport, etc etc.

Looks and behaves exactly like sky including pause, record, etc.

Much easier than kodi.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

39 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Get a zgemma box loaded with a sky skin. Cost about £120 including 12 month sub. £20 per year to renew.

Hook it up with your satellite dish cables and wireless broadband. You're picking up broadcasts not streams so no buffering etc.

Much easier than kodi.

I've been intrigued on this for a while, will look in to it. Who do you get your sub through? 

I've always been a cynic in terms of live sport on Kodi. Have watched a few games, or bits of games, and found the quality to be average at best especially on big screen tellys. However I was at my wife's aunties a couple weeks ago and her man has an IPTV subscription. I was VERY impressed. HD or near enough HD quality on a big telly. He pays about £70 a year for IPTV and VOD. My Sky renewal is up in about a month. Last year I had everything bar movies for approx £30 a month, including multiroom. Will be aiming for something similar this year but if I don't get that will look at binning it. Only way you get decent prices now with Sky is to actually cancel and then re-negotiate/haggle over the costs.

Aye chucking sky this month as well. Got an email saying they were adding on another fiver or so a month for TV, broadband and line rental.

Quite content with kodi on a firestick at the moment but will probably need to find something more reliable for live sport 

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

I've been intrigued on this for a while, will look in to it. Who do you get your sub through? 

I'll need to check.

My brother and old boy have one each and they work great. He got one for my uncle as well and it's also spot on.

I don't have one yet as I'm still tied in but going to see where he got them from and get one myself once I'm out of contract.

Much better and easier to use than kodi. Although kodi is good for specific games, films, etc it's really no substitute for a sky tv package whereas these boxes are a pretty decent alternative.

5 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Much easier than kodi.

able to use this overseass you reckon ?  or needs to be linked to a dish pointing at sky satellite ?

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

able to use this overseass you reckon ?  or needs to be linked to a dish pointing at sky satellite ?

Has to be linked to a dish which picks up sky.

Theres no streaming involved, you need to play cknip the actual broadcast. All your internet connection is doing is decoding the signal.

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

9 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Has to be linked to a dish which picks up sky.

Theres no streaming involved, you need to play cknip the actual broadcast. All your internet connection is doing is decoding the signal.

I reckon you should be able to use IPTV abroad. Might involve using a VPN but can't see why would not work.

31 minutes ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

I reckon you should be able to use IPTV abroad. Might involve using a VPN but can't see why would not work.

Cheers - kind of have that already through Bahama's - have a ROKU and pay around $50 a month subscription - although its more for ameican market

still scratch to see whats out there - might be a local South Africa IPTV which is more suitable for me

chew around 160-200 GB a month now with above  

Edited by euan2020

Interesting to see all this Kodi box stuff. Aware of it already but still dubious about how user friendly it is. 

If something came along with a small fee that pulled everything together I'd be really keen. My Sky is out of contract in a few months. Will look more closely in the next few weeks. 

3 hours ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

Quite possibly. They're not using the zgemma boxes for IPTV, just sky, but I'd assume the box and an internet connection would run it anywhere.