Team for Canada Game - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Canada Game

jamboman

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I was wondering as the laddie Julian De Guzman is Canada's all time player or something along those lines.

That's Johnathon's less-talented, older brother. 

19 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Your right that Dundee is long overdue having a Scotland international played in the city.

The last time Scotland played a match in Dundee was 1936 at Dens Park ! Tannadice has never hosted a Scotland game which is a shame.

Acht, how about Paisley?   Been waiting since 1890:   Abercorn's Underwood Park, att.7,500 5-0 vs Wales.

Didn't know it at the time, but I stayed in a flat opposite there for a wee while.   Now a coup re-cycling centre.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

De Guzman plays for Canada and Begovic is actually Bosnian(born there). :blink:

the older de guzman brother, the good one, plays for Netherlands after engineering a residency move there

Begovic is a Bosnian but was in the Canadian youth system and could have ended up playing for Canada

2 hours ago, SteveHFC said:

Armstrong and Cairney have to start on Wednesday. 

strachan says he wont start celtic players that have started yesterdays match, which is a heap of nonsense, more than enough recovery time. armstrong will prob get 20 mins. with Mcarthur being out i wouldnt bet against super john mcginn getting a start alongside fletcher ;-) 

2 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

strachan says he wont start celtic players that have started yesterdays match, which is a heap of nonsense, more than enough recovery time. armstrong will prob get 20 mins. with Mcarthur being out i wouldnt bet against super john mcginn getting a start alongside fletcher ;-) 

If the likes of Cairney and Armstrong are in the squad and John McGinn starts ahead of them i think the last morsel of interest I have in the Scotland team under Strachan will disappear.

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If the likes of Cairney and Armstrong are in the squad and John McGinn starts ahead of them i think the last morsel of interest I have in the Scotland team under Strachan will disappear.

cairney isnt a center md apparently and brown and armstrong wont start due to the weekends game, doesn't leave many central midfield options available with morrison and mcarthur being out.

27 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McGinn is a cracking player who's going to get better and I'd have no problems with him playing.

12 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

McGinn is a cracking player who's going to get better and I'd have no problems with him playing.

You'd hope he would get better when at present he is playing in a not fully professional league...

My one memory of him during the Slovakia game was running the ball straight out of play

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

You'd hope he would get better when at present he is playing in a not fully professional league...

My one memory of him during the Slovakia game was running the ball straight out of play

so you forgot about the only clear chance we had in the game when he put griffiths through then, 

1 hour ago, LewisEDI said:

A midfield of Burke, SJM, Cairney and Fraser on Wednesday would be decent,

2 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

so you forgot about the only clear chance we had in the game when he put griffiths through then, 

Must've switched off after he ran it straight out of play ;-)

Adam, Shinnie, McGregor, McLean all examples of players playing at a much better level being overlooked who would definitely be a better option than someone who plays at that level.

Sorry that it's Hibs, by all means next year if he shows some form in the SPL then possibly call him up but guys who are playing regularly and well in the SPL and even the EPL can't get a look in so it's definitely bizarre that McGinn does. 

28 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Must've switched off after he ran it straight out of play ;-)

Adam, Shinnie, McGregor, McLean all examples of players playing at a much better level being overlooked who would definitely be a better option than someone who plays at that level.

Sorry that it's Hibs, by all means next year if he shows some form in the SPL then possibly call him up but guys who are playing regularly and well in the SPL and even the EPL can't get a look in so it's definitely bizarre that McGinn does. 

McGinn is the best tackler in the squad and that's why he's there. He can play and has an excellent left foot, but it's his ability to win possession through timing and physique that separates him from the others not picked.

Edited by er yir macaroon

26 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

McGinn is the best tackler in the squad and that's why he's there. He can play and has an excellent left foot, but it's his ability to win possession through timing and physique that separates him from the others not picked.

I'm sure the others mentioned would be stand outs playing at that level. 

I like McGinn he is a good player and should be at the heart of the squad, but there are other who should be ahead of him at the moment. Being a saints fan he was superb for us for 2/3 years in the Premier League including the league cup win in 2013. For me though he made the wrong move to Hibs, its suited us as we've a 33% sell on clause with him but he really needs to move this year to a better level. He's not the young lad anymore that some people paint him as, he'll be 23 in October. 

7 hours ago, Ormond said:

De Guzman plays for Canada and Begovic is actually Bosnian(born there). :blink:

Julian did nearly play 100 matches in each of La Liga and the Bundesliga. So he's wasn't a poor player by any means. Begovic left Bosnia when he was 4 years old and made an Adidas advert about fleeing the bombs and moving to Canada that they showed constantly when he was our starting keeper when Canada hosted the 2007 U20 World Cup. It just made his move even more aggravating.

It has been getting better in the last couple of years, but we still have players jumping ship as soon as a better opportunity comes along. 18 months ago Fikayo Tomori captained the Canadian U20s to a 2-1 win in England. Now he's playing for England. It gets tiring. And I didn't mention Vitoria, Ferreira and Fernandes for Portugal, the whore for England... There's been a lot of over the years.

Bino's: Aird's young enough I'm not writing him off yet. We're desperate for a right back (sound familiar?) and he at least has the pace and the work rate to be a wing back. He might start Wednesday, but only because Ricketts, Akindele, Johnson and Cavallini didn't make the trip. We've got a lot of work to do, but it's not nearly as dire as our FIFA ranking — or frankly, I expect, our play at Easter Road — would have you believe.

We did win a CONCACAF title in 2000 (Richard Hastings of ICT scored his only international goal, a golden goal, to knock Mexico out in the quarters) and we went to the Confederations Cup. But that feels very long ago now.

cheers,

hobbes

8 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Updated prediction based on call-offs and news about Celtic players being rested...

Marshall

Anya...Martin...Berra...Robertson

Fletcher...McGinn

Snodgrass...Cairney...Ritchie

Griffiths 

About right with that or maybe Mcgregor instead of Marshall as he is playing more regularly for his club at the minute

51 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Aye, Hobbes. You can't call on the likes of Colin Miller and Nick Dasovic anymore. :P

I miss Dazza to be honest. He'd get booked every match in modern football though. Going back further I wish we had another Gerry Gray. 

Just now, hobbes said:

I miss Dazza to be honest. He'd get booked every match in modern football though. Going back further I wish we had another Gerry Gray. 

I follow the team he played for in Scotland and I never once heard him described as a dirty player. He was great for Saints.

13 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I follow the team he played for in Scotland and I never once heard him described as a dirty player. He was great for Saints.

That wasn't what I was trying to imply. A hard-working, honest player. But not afraid to get stuck in. It feels like tackling has been nearly banished from football in some places these days, but I suppose I watch many more matches from the western hemisphere than I do from Scotland.