Team for Canada Game - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Canada Game

jamboman

I used to watch Snodgrass a few years back at Leeds. His best position IMO was right wing (though he was confident and talented enough to come inside). He often beat men with skill and often cut back to get on his left foot to score. He was never fast but he charged up and down the wing enthusiastically. As the years have gone on he seems to do less dribbling and slicing through a defence and relies on a more sedate 'playmaker' role. I'm not sure he is good enough for Scotland to be a key playmaker in the sense I don't see him running a game and dictating how the team play. He can whip in brilliant balls but Scotland don't have top class centre forward who gets on the end of these deliveries. I'm not sure I would play him v Slovenia. I think he is quite predictable central and the opposition seem to stifle him quite well. if I did play him I'd put him wide right (though I'd be worried he wouldn't track back to help our emergency right back). So maybe have him wide left as Tierney/Wallace/Robertson have the energy to cope better if he can't whizz about.  Hope he proves me wrong if he does play. 

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tartacus said:

I used to watch Snodgrass a few years back at Leeds. His best position IMO was right wing (though he was confident and talented enough to come inside). He often beat men with skill and often cut back to get on his left foot to score. He was never fast but he charged up and down the wing enthusiastically. As the years have gone on he seems to do less dribbling and slicing through a defence and relies on a more sedate 'playmaker' role. I'm not sure he is good enough for Scotland to be a key playmaker in the sense I don't see him running a game and dictating how the team play. He can whip in brilliant balls but Scotland don't have top class centre forward who gets on the end of these deliveries. I'm not sure I would play him v Slovenia. I think he is quite predictable central and the opposition seem to stifle him quite well. if I did play him I'd put him wide right (though I'd be worried he wouldn't track back to help our emergency right back). So maybe have him wide left as Tierney/Wallace/Robertson have the energy to cope better if he can't whizz about.  Hope he proves me wrong if he does play. 

I wouldn't play him there either

I'd rather play a Morrison or Armstrong in behind

a long long time ago he spent a half season on loan at Stirling and was an excellent centre forward

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

"Aye but he plays furra Sellick so he must be guid !"

I'd rather have Graeme Shinnie ahead of Lee Wallace. 

would rather have Phil Bardsley ahead of both

Canada squad: 

GOALKEEPERS: Jayson LEUTWILER, Shrewsbury Town/ENG; Simon THOMAS, Bodø/Glimt/NOR.

DEFENDERS: Nikolas LEDGERWOOD, FC Edmonton; Manjrekar JAMES, Vasas/HUN; Adam STRAITH FC Edmonton; Wandrille LEFÈVRE Montreal Impact; Luca GASPAROTTO, Falkirk FC/SCO; Maxim TISSOT, DC United/USA; La’Vere CORBIN-ONG, FSV Frankfurt/GER.

MIDFIELDERS: Samuel PIETTE, Izarra/SPA; Junior HOILETT, Cardiff City/WAL; Charlie TRAFFORD, Sandecja Nowy Sącz/POL; Marco BUSTOS, Vancouver Whitecaps; Scott ARFIELD, Burnley/ENG; Fraser AIRD, Falkirk/SCO; Ben FISK, FC Edmonton.

FORWARDS: Marcus HABER, Dundee/SCO; Simeon JACKSON, Walsall/ENG.

Not a lot of the first team there unfortunately. I'm not sure what either of us are going to get out of it, but I'm sure Scotland will win in a walk. I hope the boost in confidence does the side some good against Slovenia. 

cheers,

hobbes

Other than giving the likes of S. Fletcher, Hanley, Griffiths, Anya etc. some game time we're not really get to much from this game. He may well try Tierney at right back, certainly the game to do it in.

My expectation for this game is he'll play the one's I want to see against Slovenia (Fraser, Rhodes, Burke, Armstrong) then revert to his usual lathargic favourites v Slovenia. 

according to article with Strachan in Sunday herald

no Celtic players that start today will do against Canada

so 5 of the 6 selected won't start

Rhodes may start or may get 20 mins. Looks Griffiths will start then

also chat that Burke only being used as sub but no issues as have Forrest Fraser available, so looks Fraser will start

21 hours ago, hobbes said:

Canada squad: 

GOALKEEPERS: Jayson LEUTWILER, Shrewsbury Town/ENG; Simon THOMAS, Bodø/Glimt/NOR.

DEFENDERS: Nikolas LEDGERWOOD, FC Edmonton; Manjrekar JAMES, Vasas/HUN; Adam STRAITH FC Edmonton; Wandrille LEFÈVRE Montreal Impact; Luca GASPAROTTO, Falkirk FC/SCO; Maxim TISSOT, DC United/USA; La’Vere CORBIN-ONG, FSV Frankfurt/GER.

MIDFIELDERS: Samuel PIETTE, Izarra/SPA; Junior HOILETT, Cardiff City/WAL; Charlie TRAFFORD, Sandecja Nowy Sącz/POL; Marco BUSTOS, Vancouver Whitecaps; Scott ARFIELD, Burnley/ENG; Fraser AIRD, Falkirk/SCO; Ben FISK, FC Edmonton.

FORWARDS: Marcus HABER, Dundee/SCO; Simeon JACKSON, Walsall/ENG.

Not a lot of the first team there unfortunately. I'm not sure what either of us are going to get out of it, but I'm sure Scotland will win in a walk. I hope the boost in confidence does the side some good against Slovenia. 

cheers,

hobbes

awful outfit

junior hoilett was a player back in the day when first came on scene

Airfield should have been in our squads for years

still, sure they'll be organised and looking for a draw, especially with a new manager not taking chances, and we will no doubt struggle to break down

1-0

34 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

5,000 tickets sold so far. 

Could be the lowest attendance in a century...

No wonder. Might have taken my kids to this in the past but I am done with the SFA and home games until some major changes happen. 

6 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

don't think the venue is the reason for poor ticket sales as previous matches at easter road have been relatively well attended,

where would you have suggested the game take place?

Tannadice. 

2 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

Tannadice would have been good.  it would have potentially sold more tickets, with an international game not having been staged there for years.  still may have upset sectarian Brassrubber though what with Utd having originally been called Dundee Hibernian.

Your right that Dundee is long overdue having a Scotland international played in the city.

The last time Scotland played a match in Dundee was 1936 at Dens Park ! Tannadice has never hosted a Scotland game which is a shame.

On March 19, 2017 at 3:35 AM, Bino's said:

still, sure they'll be organised and looking for a draw, especially with a new manager not taking chances, and we will no doubt struggle to break down

Our old manager was very defensive and the caretaker has carried on in a similar fashion and used the same 4-1-4-1. The caretaker will be in charge Wednesday and our new manager will likely just be in the stands. Zambrano, the new manager, is known for attacking football, so maybe that will affect the approach, but there's only so much anyone can do with that squad. 

1 hour ago, hobbes said:

Our old manager was very defensive and the caretaker has carried on in a similar fashion and used the same 4-1-4-1. The caretaker will be in charge Wednesday and our new manager will likely just be in the stands. Zambrano, the new manager, is known for attacking football, so maybe that will affect the approach, but there's only so much anyone can do with that squad. 

I imagine there's not much you can do when your de guzmans and begovic's opt for other countries as soon as they can

leaves you tapping up the fraser airds of this world, which is an even more depressing situation than ours

even with concacaf provding the walk in format for the Usa, apart from Mexico 86 (which was when it wasn't as easy) I cant recall Canada qualifying for anything

it may improve with MLS taking off and the Canadian franchises doing well

in fact, in another generation you'll probably be better than us

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

I imagine there's not much you can do when your de guzmans and begovic's opt for other countries as soon as they can

De Guzman plays for Canada and Begovic is actually Bosnian(born there). :blink: