Team for Canada Game - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Canada Game

jamboman

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

One for the boards Motherwell fans, how is Zak Jules getting on ?

His name came up on the radio the other day, and from what they said that after a nightmare start, he has came on leaps and bounds in last few weeks.

Still way to early for him, but certainly a option for the future in a position we have not got much coming through in.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Scout said:

George Boyd is playing week in week out and works very hard defo do a job - If he was Welsh or Irish week be in the squad every time 

Would not rule him out, but he plays in a more dedicated position that we are swamped with players already, and with the likes of Maloney, Snodgrass, Burke, Naismith, Anya, Ritchie etc (with Fraser, Phillips and Jamie Murphy hovering around in the background) already firmly in the squad fighting it out for those 3 spots off the main striker in Strachans preferred formation, I think there would just be no room for him that there is no point in calling him up.

Edited by wanderer

21 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Would not rule him out, but he plays in a more dedicated position that we are swamped with players already, and with the likes of Maloney, Snodgrass, Burke, Naismith, Anya, Ritchie etc (with Fraser, Phillips and Jamie Murphy hovering around in the background) already firmly in the squad fighting it out for those 3 spots off the main striker in Strachans preferred formation, I think there would just be no room for him that there is no point in calling him up.

Its time to let Naismith and Maloney go for the younger players like Burke and Fraser. Naismith and Maloney are part of the same group who have failed time and time again.

22 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Anya is pish

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Its time to let Naismith and Maloney go for the younger players like Burke and Fraser. Naismith and Maloney are part of the same group who have failed time and time again.

Inclined to agree (though I think Naismith still could have his uses, so would keep him) but unfortunately at the moment I think it needs to be the players who say enough is enough, rather than Strachan trying out new idea's, as I think he is so set in his ways at the moment that he will always find a spot for his favorites.

4 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

Anyone got any complaints about the squad? Seems everyone we have been shoutingfor is called up. Whether he plays them or not is another matter 

Good squad and pleasantly surprised he's called up all the players on form and not just 2 or 3 of them. There was no way he could ignore Rhodes given he's keeping Fletcher out the Wednesday team.

Ignoring the Canada game, a front 4 of Rhodes, Snoddy, Fraser and Burke or Philips really should be an easy choice. Anya, Martin, Mulgrew & Robertson/Tierney should be the defence. Midfield spoilt for choice.

Edited by bossman4

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

3 left backs including Lee Wallace :lol::lol:

4 if you include Charlie Mulgrew

Think its obvious he will use one of Robertson and Tierney at left back and the other one on the wing. Wallace can also cover CB so not disappointed to see him in there.

Anya not worth his place anymore but I guess he see's him as a right back.

Phil Bardsley has a good reason to be annoyed.

The omission of Charlie Adam for John McGinn is a joke.

It's not as annoying as some of Strchans squads atleast.

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Think its obvious he will use one of Robertson and Tierney at left back and the other one on the wing. Wallace can also cover CB so not disappointed to see him in there.

Anya not worth his place anymore but I guess he see's him as a right back.

Phil Bardsley has a good reason to be annoyed.

The omission of Charlie Adam for John McGinn is a joke.

It's not as annoying as some of Strchans squads atleast.

its arguably his least annoying squad to date, Kenny McLean can also feel aggrieved at being left out. I know strachan can't accommodate everyone but some of his picks are just baffling. 

The positives are the inclusions of Fraser, Cairney, Armstrong and Phillips. Lets hope he actually plays these players instead of just handing them a cap and continuing with the same tried, tested and failed players.

Would agree on Bardsley, to play fairly regularly since November and given our shortage are right back, to still not get the call is a bit baffling.

Wallace played well enough at Wembley so wasn't expecting him to be dropped.

Edited by bossman4

3 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

4 left backs, no right backs.

Russell Martin could be moved to there (though that is his position at club level, I can not think of that many times he has played there for Scotland), also Anya could be slipped back to play there (which he has done in the past), but that is more clutching at straws.

Its a decent squad! Can't really complain but i hope strachan gives them a chance. From what i heard from him yesterday, its cairney starting and armstrong on the bench i feel.

Gordon

Anya  Berra   Mulgrew  Tierney

Fraser  McGinn  Brown  Robertson

Cairney/Armstrong

Rhodes/Snodgrass

It's a shame Stu Armstrong had to be playing for Celtic to get a call up, was playing for Utd this good week in, week out. But on a serious note, good to see Armstrong and Ryan Fraser in the squad. Have a good selection of Goalkeepers, Left backs and Midfielders. Just a shame we don't have any centre halves or any strikers with that little step up in quality.

35 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Possibly his most baffling squad yet. The sooner Strachan and McGhee are away the better. 

Disagree on most baffling.

No right backs is bizarre and the continual ommission of Bardsley is very wrong.

John McGinn perhaps the strangest pick with the likes of Adam and Shinnie rightfully annoyed.

Positives are the selection of Ryan Fraser, Cairney etc.

Agree fully on the sooner they go the better. Shouldn't be long now...

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

In what way is it baffling?

Bardsley is the only player that I think should be in that hasn't made it. 

A squad with zero right backs and the same old centre backs. A squad that omits one of the most consistent players in Scottish football (who can also play right-back btw...) while calling up guys playing in the Scottish Championship. 

The only reason you agree with it all as because you are as clueless on Scottish fitbaw as Strachan. 

19 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's a 31 year old solid professional but would be a very short sighted selection. Maybe he should have more caps maybe not, but you can be pretty sure he wont be player of the tourney at Euro 2020.

Don't know about James Forrest, maybe he is the sort of player that needs to know the players around him better than he ever will at international level.

He is the sort of player that has been shite for years, scores the occasional good goal then is back to being pish