Team for Canada Game - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Canada Game

jamboman

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:53 PM, Kirk said:

cant believe folk are still saying play forrest, he has proved how shite he is time and time again

he's all about confidence and Rodgers has given him that at club

if he can find it at international level he could be great for us

plus Burke is still a bit part player at, albeit impressive, club level at this stage in his career

once he starts week in he'll cement his place in international side

43 minutes ago, Bino's said:

plus Burke is still a bit part player at, albeit impressive, club level at this stage in his career

Hes still shite at celtic. Occasional good play doesnt merit the hype

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

Problem is with his style of play it might  just look good in a sub standard league. What Rodgers has done at Parkhead is amazing though he seems to have improved every player there.

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Problem is with his style of play it might  just look good in a sub standard league. What Rodgers has done at Parkhead is amazing though he seems to have improved every player there.

if that correct brown would look gash too

Forrest has been excellent this season, he just hasn't done for us

with the confidence he's in either gonna do it now or never

we'll get to find out as Strachan will start him

37 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If you look on the BBC Sport page then Lindsay himself particularly thinks he should get a call up!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39148187

Bearing in mind that the lad has been put on the spot by reporters who are are finally beginning to take notice of him, I think you're misrepresenting his quotes in the article.

He says he feels he should have had a call-up for the under 21s at least once last season, but nowhere does he say that he himself should get a call-up to the main squad.

He does say

"I'm just really focusing on playing first-team football to be honest right now. I see on Twitter people saying about Scotland but I just ignore it. If it happens - great. If it doesn't, just keep plodding on.

"Maybe the club I'm at, [it's] small compared to other clubs in the league. I just take it as that."

Good to have a young Scottish center back, playing every game at a club that seems to have found it's feet defensively. 5 clean sheets in his last 7 games is solid and popping up with 6 goals this term is quite welcome as well. If he can keep his form up to the end of the season then you've got to think he can't be a million miles from a call up just to give him a taster.

2 minutes ago, andyD said:

Good to have a young Scottish center back, playing every game at a club that seems to have found it's feet defensively. 5 clean sheets in his last 7 games is solid and popping up with 6 goals this term is quite welcome as well. If he can keep his form up to the end of the season then you've got to think he can't be a million miles from a call up just to give him a taster.

Worth a chance in a friendly anyway - CAn't be any worse than Hanley... can he!?

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Worth a chance in a friendly anyway - CAn't be any worse than Hanley... can he!?

Hanley wouldn't be in my top 4 centerbacks for us right now and wouldn't be getting a call.

LIndsey's got a decent number of games behind him (coming up on 80 for his career) and you've got the think he's nudging infront of the likes of John Souttar and Danny Wilson. Could be worth a half against Canada.

34 minutes ago, andyD said:

Hanley wouldn't be in my top 4 centerbacks for us right now and wouldn't be getting a call.

LIndsey's got a decent number of games behind him (coming up on 80 for his career) and you've got the think he's nudging infront of the likes of John Souttar and Danny Wilson. Could be worth a half against Canada.

I would definitely have a look at him v Canada. Sadly there's no way in this world Strachan would ever call up a player from Partick Thistle

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39148187

Bearing in mind that the lad has been put on the spot by reporters who are are finally beginning to take notice of him, I think you're misrepresenting his quotes in the article.

"To be honest, I think I should have been in at least one. But that's not my call to make. "

Sounds clear enough to me. I do happen to agree with him though. Wouldn't do any harm to try him out v Canada. I think I read somewhere that Hanley has only started twice for Newcastle. Is he really that much better an option if that's the case?

31 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

"To be honest, I think I should have been in at least one. But that's not my call to make. "

Sounds clear enough to me. I do happen to agree with him though. Wouldn't do any harm to try him out v Canada. I think I read somewhere that Hanley has only started twice for Newcastle. Is he really that much better an option if that's the case?

That quote refers to the under 21s and not the full squad, Reevesy.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

That quote refers to the under 21s and not the full squad, Reevesy.

You're right actually, I stand corrected. I'd still like to see him in the senior squad for Canada though.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I like the look of Lindsay. That said, if Hanley was playing in the SPFL we'd probably be raving about him.

Absolutely true. Hanley would be an excellent SPFL defender.

The problem isn't the level Hanley's playing at or even whether he's a bad player or not. The problem is he's not playing and we've seen in recent performances that, while Hutton was able to maintain a decent level of performance despite not playing for months, Hanley gets rusty very quickly when he's not playing. He starts making mistakes and that costs us.

Hanley will still be an important player for Scotland in future years, he's only 24 and will probabyl at least double his current 26 caps.. but right now he's not playing.. he's started 1 game since the opening day and only made 2 appearances of any kind in the last 4 months, since he came on as a 95th minute sub against Preston.

Newcastle look like going up.. and if Hanley doesn't make the grade for them in the Championship, he's definitely not going to be a starter for them in the Premier League. He's going to have to move to find football, so at the end of the day his move to Newcastle will be looked back on as an utter failure and probably the worst point in his career, even if it will have been the best period for his bank balance.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Absolutely true. Hanley would be an excellent SPFL defender.

The problem isn't the level Hanley's playing at or even whether he's a bad player or not. The problem is he's not playing and we've seen in recent performances that, while Hutton was able to maintain a decent level of performance despite not playing for months, Hanley gets rusty very quickly when he's not playing. He starts making mistakes and that costs us.

Hanley will still be an important player for Scotland in future years, he's only 24 and will probabyl at least double his current 26 caps.. but right now he's not playing.. he's started 1 game since the opening day and only made 2 appearances of any kind in the last 4 months, since he came on as a 95th minute sub against Preston.

Newcastle look like going up.. and if Hanley doesn't make the grade for them in the Championship, he's definitely not going to be a starter for them in the Premier League. He's going to have to move to find football, so at the end of the day his move to Newcastle will be looked back on as an utter failure and probably the worst point in his career, even if it will have been the best period for his bank balance.

Agree 100%. Hanley is a good player when fully match sharp and is as good as anyone we have. I hope some better players emerge, but playing every week for a good team he'd be a good option.

I posted a few months ago saying Lindsay probably wasn't ready for the Scottish team.   He probably still isn't, but I've completely changed my mind.  

The boy has come on leaps and bounds this season,  bossing established premiership players and is cutting out the errors. He is always a threat at set pieces with 6 or 7 goals to his name.

Strachan should not be able to ignore a towering Scottish defender who plays every week,  has a winning mentality,  scores goals, and is rock solid.   He's also part of a defence that has had 8 clean sheets in 10.  

We're seriously lacking in decent defenders and it's ignorant to overlook a guy who's playing so well just because he plays for a wee team.  

I think everyone at Thistle and the fans are resigned to losing Liam Lindsay in the summer.   He's came out and said the right words - wants to learn his trade at Thistle - but do we always need to wait until a player moves to a bigger team before he gets a chance at representing his country?    

Where's the feckin' scouting system.  Too busy looking at ancestry records probably.  

3 hours ago, OLAS said:

I posted a few months ago saying Lindsay probably wasn't ready for the Scottish team.   He probably still isn't, but I've completely changed my mind.  

The boy has come on leaps and bounds this season,  bossing established premiership players and is cutting out the errors. He is always a threat at set pieces with 6 or 7 goals to his name.

Strachan should not be able to ignore a towering Scottish defender who plays every week,  has a winning mentality,  scores goals, and is rock solid.   He's also part of a defence that has had 8 clean sheets in 10.  

We're seriously lacking in decent defenders and it's ignorant to overlook a guy who's playing so well just because he plays for a wee team.  

I think everyone at Thistle and the fans are resigned to losing Liam Lindsay in the summer.   He's came out and said the right words - wants to learn his trade at Thistle - but do we always need to wait until a player moves to a bigger team before he gets a chance at representing his country?    

Where's the feckin' scouting system.  Too busy looking at ancestry records probably.  

very unlikely

Alan Rough ws probably last Thistle player to be called up

3 hours ago, Bino's said:

very unlikely

Alan Rough ws probably last Thistle player to be called up

Nicky Walker was last one capped, and Vogts called up Kenny Arthur (?) as 3rd choice keeper a fair few times.

Team for Canada 

Gordon 

Hutton Lindsay Mulgrew Tierney

Brown Armstrong 

Burke Cairney Gallagher 

Rhodes 

get Hutton back in just for this campaign as no RB at the min - this team is just for Canada game 

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Team for Canada 

Gordon 

Hutton Lindsay Mulgrew Tierney

Brown Armstrong 

Burke Cairney Gallagher 

Rhodes 

get Hutton back in just for this campaign as no RB at the min - this team is just for Canada game 

Strachan won't make that many changes : More like 

Gordon 

Anya     Martin    Mulgrew   Wallace 

Forrest  Brown Bannan  Ritchie 

Snodgrass 

Rhodes / Fletcher

It's the way Strachan is