2017 movie thread - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 movie thread

Guest flumax

Dunkirk: great score, zimmer should best part of the film. good use of nobody actors. Not too sentimental (could have done without the reading newspaper at the end and Elgar). Great panoramics. Claustrophobic at times and sickenly dizzy. Its a spectacular more than a film. Technically wonderful.  Very little speech, so good event more than a story. 

However not sure I got anything new out the story. War's horrible got that. Public participation,  every mans story different. No great twist (odd for a Nolan). 

Worth seeing, it'll do well, I won't bother to see it again. 

Guest flumax
On 25/07/2017 at 8:21 PM, flumax said:

Dunkirk: great score, zimmer should best part of the film. good use of nobody actors. Not too sentimental (could have done without the reading newspaper at the end and Elgar). Great panoramics. Claustrophobic at times and sickenly dizzy. Its a spectacular more than a film. Technically wonderful.  Very little speech, so good event more than a story. 

However not sure I got anything new out the story. War's horrible got that. Public participation,  every mans story different. No great twist (odd for a Nolan). 

Worth seeing, it'll do well, I won't bother to see it again. 

Phew, at least I'm not the only one

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/jul/26/bloodless-boring-empty-christopher-nolan-dunkirk-left-me-cold

Went to see Dunkirk yesterday...

Firstly, don't waste your time going to "Superscreen" - It's so cropped you don't get any benefit of bigger screen

Generally was very disappointed with the film -- I found it to be a generic "war from one man's perspective" film which gave no concept of the scale of the operation -- The Film lasts about 1 hr 40 mins or so, think would have been better is they had taken 3 hrs or whatever to tell the story properly, develop some characters etc...

Also without wanting to give any "spoilers" of sorts, I found the idea of repeating the same scene / "action" from different characters perspectives to be grating by the end

https://wingsoverscotland.com/seeing-it-from-here/

Cough ....

peekay says:

It’s also been lied about over the years. The reality is it was English and French troops rescued from Dunkirk. The Scots were detached to French command and told to hold out at St Valery en Caux with the promise they would be evacuated next. They did, they weren’t, and were finally forced to surrender 12th June by which point they were pretty much chucking rocks at Rommells Panzers. Needless to say the whole saga has been removed from the history books and we’re constantly told of the heroic evacuation of ‘British’ troops when it was nothing of the sort. Churchill abandoned the Scots for political nicities with de Gaulle

Edited by Ally Bongo

Went to see Dunkirk today and I'd agree with a few others that I found it incredibly boring at times. The scenes in the planes were dull, Styles acting was atrocious, the timeline aspect of it didn't add anything to it all although it did look great but very much style over substance.

Edited by Mox

Watched a few more films over the last week...

The Mummy (the new one with Tom Cruise) Terrible. But you already knew that :lol:

Get Out: Strange little thriller but enjoyable enough. Spent a good 15 minutes trying to work out what I knew the Dad in the film from.

Hacksaw Ridge: Great film and a great story. 

Gifted: Nice little film about a wee girl who is a maths whiz and lives with her uncle who just wants her to have a normal life instead of going to schools for gifted children etc. Becomes a custody battle with the grandmother. Was alright for a Sunday afternoon. 

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, Donaldo87 said:

Watched a few more films over the last week...

The Mummy (the new one with Tom Cruise) Terrible. But you already knew that :lol:

Get Out: Strange little thriller but enjoyable enough. Spent a good 15 minutes trying to work out what I knew the Dad in the film from.

Hacksaw Ridge: Great film and a great story. 

Gifted: Nice little film about a wee girl who is a maths whiz and lives with her uncle who just wants her to have a normal life instead of going to schools for gifted children etc. Becomes a custody battle with the grandmother. Was alright for a Sunday afternoon. 

I watched it at the weekend.  Agree, thought it was good enough.  I was trying to work out what I'd seen the mum in before!

I'm surprised that some people found Dunkirk boring in places.  I thought it was a very tense disaster movie.  The storylines were tight, the score added greatly to the tension, and I thought the dogfights with the Spitfires were amazing.  I don't think they overdid the small boat aspect, either (essentially they were used as shallow draught tenders to ferry people off the beaches and on to Navy ships at anchor).  They only indulged some jingoism at the end, but I suppose that could be allowed.

Perhaps a diet of CGI-heavy superhero/sci-fi/action movies has lowered some folk's boredom thresholds? 

18 minutes ago, Potted Heid said:

I'm surprised that some people found Dunkirk boring in places.  I thought it was a very tense disaster movie.  The storylines were tight, the score added greatly to the tension, and I thought the dogfights with the Spitfires were amazing.  I don't think they overdid the small boat aspect, either (essentially they were used as shallow draught tenders to ferry people off the beaches and on to Navy ships at anchor).  They only indulged some jingoism at the end, but I suppose that could be allowed.

Perhaps a diet of CGI-heavy superhero/sci-fi/action movies has lowered some folk's boredom thresholds? 

I'd agree with that.  I really enjoyed it.

Saw Race last night, the story.of Jesse Owens. Very watchable, although strays from the book for dramatic effect.

And if anyone is interested, I'm writing a book about a similar subject (some of the same characters appear as in the film). More at www.craigstatham.com.

2 hours ago, Stapes said:

Saw Race last night, the story.of Jesse Owens. Very watchable, although strays from the book for dramatic effect.

And if anyone is interested, I'm writing a book about a similar subject (some of the same characters appear as in the film). More at www.craigstatham.com.

Really liked Race. Also, if you fancy something very similar to that then watch the film 42. It's about Jackie Robinson, the first black player in the MLB. Harrison Ford is brilliant in it. It came out in 2013. 

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

Really liked Race. Also, if you fancy something very similar to that then watch the film 42. It's about Jackie Robinson, the first black player in the MLB. Harrison Ford is brilliant in it. It came out in 2013. 

Yep, 42 is excellent. US sports films is a place to find really good films that don't get any promotion over here. Kevin Costner also had a really good one out recently. Will post a list of some of the best ones.

Here are a list of relatively recent US sports films which didn't really get any promotion over here, most of which are just a relaxed watch on a Sunday afternoon. A couple are excellent, and well worth a watch, and probably could be compared, quality wise, to Remember the Titans.

Baseball

Million Dollar Arm

Trouble With the Game

61*

The Perfect Game

Basketball

Coach Carter

Glory Road (excellent watch)

American Football

The Blind Side

Invincible (excellent film)

Gridiron Gang

Athletics

McFarland USA

Prefontaine (well worth a watch)

Without Limits (also about Steve Prefontaine)

Horse Racing

Seabiscuit

Secretariat

Edited by Stapes

6 hours ago, Stapes said:

Here are a list of relatively recent US sports films which didn't really get any promotion over here, most of which are just a relaxed watch on a Sunday afternoon. A couple are excellent, and well worth a watch, and probably could be compared, quality wise, to Remember the Titans.

Baseball

Million Dollar Arm

Trouble With the Game

61*

The Perfect Game

Basketball

Coach Carter

American Football

The Blind Side

Gridiron Gang

Athletics

McFarland USA

Horse Racing

Seabiscuit

Secretariat

I liked the Yank fitba' film with Kevin Costner called Draft Day. 

Al Pacino's Any Given Sunday was good too.

Edited by Ormond

54 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I liked the Yank fitba' film with Kevin Costner called Draft Day. 

Al Pacino's Any Given Sunday was good too.

The Replacements is also alright

On 06/08/2017 at 3:45 PM, Stapes said:

Baseball

Million Dollar Arm

Trouble With the Game

61*

The Perfect Game

Basketball

Coach Carter

American Football

The Blind Side

Gridiron Gang

Athletics

McFarland USA

Horse Racing

Seabiscuit

Secretariat

If you like US sport films, you should check out the 30 for 30 documentaries that ESPN make