2017 movie thread - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 movie thread

I know it was 2016 but I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople at the weekend and it was excellent.  A real "feel good" movie and the young boy in it is tremendous.  Going to see La La Land on Friday on which I'll reserve judgement but I had to let the missus choose one sooner or later!!  Also booked up for Trainspotting 2 and want to catch Manchester By The Sea while it's in cinemas.

Looking forward to,

Trainspotting 2

Great Wall

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Logan

Spiderman: Homecoming

Thor: Ragnarok (only because it will probably be the closest I will see to my fav Marvel story, Planet Hulk, on the big screen).

13 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Looking forward to,

Trainspotting 2

Great Wall

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Logan

Spiderman: Homecoming

Thor: Ragnarok (only because it will probably be the closest I will see to my fav Marvel story, Planet Hulk, on the big screen).

Forgot about Great Wall, looking forward to that too even if it is a blatant attempt to exploit the Chinese market!  Also looking forward to Baby Driver and Alien Covenant and I'm undecided about Blade Runner 2049.

I have to say, the glut of Marvel movies are really starting to leave me cold.  I quite enjoyed the first couple of Iron Men (Iron Mans?) and the first Avengers was "OK" but they seem to be churning them out at about one a month now and the sole point of each film seems to be to set up the next one or a connected one.  They're all making billions though so I don't think it'll be changing any time soon!!

Just now, Fairbairn said:

I have to say, the glut of Marvel movies are really starting to leave me cold.  I quite enjoyed the first couple of Iron Men (Iron Mans?) and the first Avengers was "OK" but they seem to be churning them out at about one a month now and the sole point of each film seems to be to set up the next one or a connected one.  They're all making billions though so I don't think it'll be changing any time soon!!

Yes, I have started to lose a bit of interest now also, but somewhat intrigued by their plans for 2017.

Loved Guardians Vol 1, so been counting down the days for Vol 2 since I saw it..... Spiderman: Homecoming looks to finally have taken all the elements of Spiderman that has not been there since the first Maguire movie..... the Wolverine solo movies have been somewhere between terrible and so-so up to now, and its really only because its Jackman's last outing as the character, plus the introduction of X-23 and that they are using elements of Oldman Wolverine and Death of Wolverine as source material..... same with Thor, not enjoyed any of his solo movies, and its really only because they are using Plant Hulk as source material that I am looking forward to this.

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I know it was 2016 but I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople at the weekend and it was excellent.  A real "feel good" movie and the young boy in it is tremendous.  Going to see La La Land on Friday on which I'll reserve judgement but I had to let the missus choose one sooner or later!!  Also booked up for Trainspotting 2 and want to catch Manchester By The Sea while it's in cinemas.

Sam Neil is excellent in Wildepeople as well, I didn't realise New Zealand was as big on guns until I saw that film

Yeah I really enjoyed "Hell or High Water"

Other films that I have been watching since I got kodi have been;

The accountant - Enjoyed although Anna Kendrick is a pain in the ass in everything

Girl on the Train - meh

Deepwater Horizon - Exactly what you expect from the film

Allied - Loved it

Captain Fantastic - Pretty good. 

Trolls :lol: - Utter shite but the youngs un's lapped it up. Partially to blame for my hatred of said Anna Kendrick.

Looking forward to seeing what 2017 has to bring. 

Manchester by the Sea looks good. 

Edited by Donaldo87

14 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Yeah I really enjoyed "Hell or High Water"

Other films that I have been watching since I got kodi have been;

The accountant - Enjoyed although Anna Kendrick is a pain in the ass in everything

Girl on the Train - meh

Deepwater Horizon - Exactly what you expect from the film

Allied - Loved it

Captain Fantastic - Pretty good. 

Trolls :lol: - Utter shite but the youngs un's lapped it up. Partially to blame for my hatred of said Anna Kendrick.

Looking forward to seeing what 2017 has to bring. 

Manchester by the Sea looks good. 

Watched Girl on the Train on Saturday and felt much the same.

1 hour ago, Donaldo87 said:

Girl on the Train - meh

Allied - Loved it

Went to see all 3 at the Cinema, agree.

Saw Collateral Beauty the other day (Bird's choice) and it's another Meh.

Going to see Silence on Friday. 

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Really?  I was planning on picking that up at some point.

Buy it second hand. I was looking forward to it after the first two books but, in my opinion (though Amazon customers seem to disagree with me), Substance is a self-indulgent mess much like New Order I guess. 

Looking forward to Trainspotting 2 and very nervous about Blade Runner 2049 as the original is one of my favourite films. 

And its also one of the few films that's better than the book it's based on. 

I have zero interest in anything Star Wars, or any of the super hero movies. Just not my cup of tea however I'll end up having to go to most of them because of my kids. ?

I've just seen La La Land. A film about song and dance people, by song and dance people. If you aren't a big fan of musicals, it's one to avoid. But if you like musicals, you'll love this.

It's a certainty for 5 or 6 Oscars for things such as set design, score, costumes etc