Basque Region - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Basque Region

Andy North Croy

Andy. As Fringo says above. San Sebastian. Fabulous place with lots of cheap bars and restaurants. Bilbao looked ok but only went through it by coach. I flew from Prestwick to Barcelona, had a night there then used Veuling Airlines to fly up to San Sebastian. Can also fly to Biarritz in France and travel onwards from there. Very friendly people and when I was there didn't seem to be an inordinate amount of French or Germans. Definitely go back sometime. 

My brief insights into Bilbao was that's a bit of an industrial, grey place. Main reason for going there would be to visit the Guggenheim Museum (if you're into that). I can't remember exactly but it's probably 1-1.5 hr drive from San Sebastian.

San Sebastian much, much nicer. You could also catch a Real Sociedad game there, which I did one time on a day trip down from Biarritz.

Not been to Guernica but I'd fancy a wee trip there if I was in the area again.

If you are coming down from France then Hondarribia, just over the border has some great pintxo bars and a fine little beach.  San Sabastian is a great gastronomic city.  If you want a typical Basque fishing town then Mutriku, halfway between SS and Bilbao, fits the bill.  Never been to Guernica, but aim to one day, given its historical significance.  The capital, Vitoria, is an interesting little city and close to the Rioja region if you like wine, or viniculture.  We were on holiday in Castro Urdiales last summer which is a seafood town about ten miles in to Cantabria outside Bilbao.  Only went in to the city for the day but it was interesting.  Visited Athletic Bilbao's stadium, the Guggenheim Museum and the pintxo bars of the small old town.  Like others have said, it ain't winning no beauty contest.

On 1/8/2017 at 8:00 PM, Andy North Croy said:

Any ideas for excursions in this area? Ah quite fancy a trip to Guernica, anyone been/worth it?

heading to the basque country for a week at the start of march 

flying into Santander then getting the slow train to Bilbao

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/articles/Spain-by-train-riding-the-narrow-gauge-FEVE-railway/

a couple of days in Bilbao (guggenheim, im into art) then bus to San Sebastian hopefully getting a ticket for the basque derby

might pop down to Pamplona for the day but will probably give Guernica a miss

Picasso's Guernica is in Madrid if that was part of your reason for going there

hopefully catch some decent weather/food/drink although i believe its gets a tad rainy in march

doesnt rain in the pub tho

San Sebastian is beautiful and has bars with great food but is also very expensive. Bilbao is much more down to earth and  cheaper  than SS,. Near SS Zarautz with beautiful beach, famous for surfing is worth a visit and more so the coastal villages nearby especially one (can`t remember name) where Spanish naval hero Elcano was born.. All comments so far have mentioned Spanish Basque Country but there are good places in French part too. Border town of Hendaye has a fantastic beach, great gardens and some nice bars. Much cheaper than SS too. nearby St Jean de Luz is nice too.  

• 1 month later...

Aye, it's a great part of the world.

We're heading to the Basque Country for a week in May. We've been to San Sebastian, Vitoria and (very briefly) Bilbao before so are planning to explore some smaller towns and villages this time.

Any recommendations for places, eating and drinking would be most welcome. Rough plan is to use Getaria as a base and then take day trips from there.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

really enjoyed my trip to the basque country 

nice people, great food and very few tourists :ok:

football was great (0-2 athletico) fans of both sides sitting together and mixing in the town afterwards with no hassle 

the food in san sebastian was incredible and the view from the slow train (feve) to bilbao was stunning

will definitely be in bilbao again at some point hopefully taking in a game at the San Mames

On 1/11/2017 at 3:28 PM, Potted Heid said:

Try the Plaza Nueva in the old town for great pintxo bars, Dan.  Café Bar Bilbao in one of the corners was my favourite, but they are all good as far as I recall...

excellent place for people watching and lazy drinking