Tennis 2017 - Page 4 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2017

min

6 minutes ago, min said:

Murray v Verdasco about to start. Hopefully another 500 ranking points (and $500k) to increase his lead over Djokovic in the rankings. Then a big month coming up with back-to back Masters in Indian Wells and Miami.

Where he's defending almost no points and Djokovic is defending 2000. 

34 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Where he's defending almost no points and Djokovic is defending 2000. 

Yep. He really needs to take advantage of this stage of the season with them both defending a lot of points on clay and then Andy's maximum points on grass.

So far so good in Dubai.

It was patchy from Andy throughout the tournament but he was still too good for the rest. He now leads Djokovic by over 2000 points and over the next month its not unrealist to say that lead could have extended to 2,500 to 3,000 points entering the clay court season. Andy has a fair few points to defend there but so has Novak. I'd be very surprised if Andy doesn't go to Wimbledon still as the No 1.

On Wednesday, March 08, 2017 at 10:41 AM, min said:

Cracking draw at Indian Wells. Relatively straightforward (on paper) for Andy.

Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Del Potro all in the same quarter :lol:.

And he loses his first game. Terrible day for Scottish sport yesterday :( 

22 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Andy Murray has pulled out of the Miami Masters with a shoulder injury. Rumours abound are that Djokovic is also set to withdraw.

Djokovic confirmed as out. 

Just purchased tickets for 3 days at the French Open at the beginning of June this year. Of the slams, I've only been to Wimbledon, so really looking forward to this. 

23 hours ago, Parklife said:

Just purchased tickets for 3 days at the French Open at the beginning of June this year. Of the slams, I've only been to Wimbledon, so really looking forward to this. 

How easy was it to get tickets for the French?  I've always fancied going down to Wimbledon but getting tickets seems really difficult.

38 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

How easy was it to get tickets for the French?  I've always fancied going down to Wimbledon but getting tickets seems really difficult.

Not as easy as i had thought!! They went on sale at 9am yesterday. Upon attempting to log on, i was placed in a queue in position circa 28,000... I was then waiting for around 1 hour and 40 minutes to get to the front of the queue and in position to buy. 

By this time tickets were getting scarce. I had been hoping to get 2x Friday 2nd June tickets for Lenglen and 2x Saturday 3rd June tickets for Chatrier (together with outside court tickets for Thursday 1st June). What i've ended up with is 2 x Chatrier tickets for the Friday and 2 x Court 1 tickets for the Saturday. These tickets seemed to be close to being the very last available for these courts. Logging in now i can see that there are no tickets at all left for many days of the tournament. 

My advice is to be on the ball and sitting waiting at your PC when they go on sale. 

Wimbledon is a ballot arrangement for tickets (all conducted via sending self-addressed envelopes, like it's still 1993...). We were lucky last year and went down for a day. Hopefully we'll be lucky again this year. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Andy Murray back in action tomorrow for the first time in about a month after an elbow injury as the clay court season gets underway in Monte Carlo. He is bound to be rusty so I'd take any win just now.

Djokovic certainly appeared rusty today after a similar lay off and dug deep to get through. Murray will likely have to do the same.

Both are defending a huge number of points during the clay court season, so no room for slip ups.

Understandsble that Federer had decided to sit out the next six weeks or so after his unbelievable start to the season - he knows he'll have great chance on grass.

3 minutes ago, min said:

Djokovic certainly appeared rusty today after a similar lay off and dug deep to get through. Murray will likely have to do the same.

Both are defending a huge number of points during the clay court season, so no room for slip ups.

Understandsble that Federer had decided to sit out the next six weeks or so after his unbelievable start to the season - he knows he'll have great chance on grass.

Or drug testing.........?

12 hours ago, min said:

Probably taking time out to do a cycle.

21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

He can still be tested, even though he's not playing tournaments. 

Not in any meaningful way though, no longitudinal testing though.

Just use stuff with fast clear time. Train like mad, then recover and ready to go in 6 weeks.

6 minutes ago, phart said:

Probably taking time out to do a cycle.

Anything's possible, but the guy's almost 36, think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that his old body needs some rest.

Besides, not sure drugs would help him improve the accuracy of his backhand which has probably been the difference in his recent wins against Nadal.

20 minutes ago, min said:

Anything's possible, but the guy's almost 36, think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that his old body needs some rest.

Besides, not sure drugs would help him improve the accuracy of his backhand which has probably been the difference in his recent wins against Nadal.

Exactly this resurgence is ridiculous from that context. Same As Lance Armstrong and same as Bradley Wiggins. Wiggins was getting called out literally during the 2009 Tour before he was even at SKY. Armstrong got called out during his first tour back during the actual race. It's pretty obvious if you know what to look for. If you don't it doesn't register. Modern sports have more than a touch of WWE about them to make money.

Drugs help you practise more and at a higher intensity with fewer breaks in between. If practise is the process in which you get better, significantly increasing the duration and the quality of practice should and does have a positive effect on anyone's game.

For instance did you know Tennis uses silent bans on people for doping? They pretend they're injured but actually serving a suspension.

Tennis is to take a more proactive stance on doping by revealing positive tests as they arise, rather than waiting until the hearing has been held to explain why a certain player has been absent from the tour for several months

The shift in policy, which is to be announced in July, comes as tennis fights to clean up its reputation after a bruising few months. Conspiracy theorists often claim that positive tests are suppressed, sometimes pointing to Andre Agassi’s unpunished use of crystal meth as an example. And these rumours have only been encouraged by more recent cases like that of Marin Cilic, whose withdrawal from Wimbledon in 2013 was initially ascribed to a knee injury, before it later emerged that he had tested positive for a banned stimulant.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2016/05/25/international-tennis-federation-to-change-anti-doping-procedures/

Edited by phart

Just to point out at the start they never revealed it after the process, that's a wee bit of spin to cover for the fact they got caught, so that was the excuse. Been whistleblowers etc.

Still waiting on the list of previous players who served silent bans in this new age of transparency. :)

Edited by phart