Tennis 2017 - Page 15 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2017

min

12 hours ago, thplinth said:

Women's tennis stands on its own two feet, earns what it merits and pays its own bills. 

And that is not progressive?

Men are getting shafted by PC leaching. If they broke away from women's tennis it would be a Premier league breakaway type move. Dump the moany expensive dead wood, let them go for it if they think they are so hot shit marketable,

To be fair if we're making the relative dollar the arbiter then the Williams sisters should break away themselves, they generate more money per head than anyone. Especially Serena.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I think Muguruza could dominate the womens' game in future, a very powerful player. And she also seems quite a likeable personality...

I thought female Wimbledon champions retired after winning? OR have i totally blew that up in my own mind.

4 minutes ago, phart said:

I thought female Wimbledon champions retired after winning? OR have i totally blew that up in my own mind.

Not sure if that's a joke that i'm not getting? :unsure: 

On 7/17/2017 at 10:38 AM, phart said:

To be fair if we're making the relative dollar the arbiter then the Williams sisters should break away themselves, they generate more money per head than anyone. Especially Serena.

And play who? Men can break away from women but Serena cant break away from women. I know what you mean but and it will be the future like big football clubs carve out their own TV rights when they are powerful enough. But for now the natural break point is men v women. Men's tennis would get a real boost cutting loose. They could use the extra profits to invest in things like say... drug testing. That would be good. Maybe if they were 10% of the level Cycling is in this regard they would find it is FULL of blatant drug cheats. But the tennis monkey sees no evil and hears no evil and so speaks no evil. 

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I think Muguruza could dominate the womens' game in future, a very powerful player. And she also seems quite a likeable personality...

Me too. Mega classy burd on and off the court. Thought williams acted the queen bee and tried to intimidate her. The 6-0 second set was telling. Seemed to know her time was up. Williams all impatient and scowly at the net while she briefly celebrated her first wimbledon victory. I am kinda bored of the williiam's sisters and their hideous entourage. 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Not sure if that's a joke that i'm not getting? :unsure: 

For some reason i thought barotelli happened twice instead of once, so i was making comments without a sound grasp of reality and ended up talking pish.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

And play who? Men can break away from women but Serena cant break away from women. I know what you mean but and it will be the future like big football clubs carve out their own TV rights when they are powerful enough. But for now the natural break point is men v women. Men's tennis would get a real boost cutting loose. They could use the extra profits to invest in things like say... drug testing. That would be good. Maybe if they were 10% of the level Cycling is in this regard they would find it is FULL of blatant drug cheats. But the tennis monkey sees no evil and hears no evil and so speaks no evil. 

Me too. Mega classy burd on and off the court. Thought williams acted the queen bee and tried to intimidate her. The 6-0 second set was telling. Seemed to know her time was up. Williams all impatient and scowly at the net while she briefly celebrated her first wimbledon victory. I am kinda bored of the williiam's sisters and their hideous entourage. 

Don't they just play the 4 slams together anyway, as opposed to the entire tour.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Me too. Mega classy burd on and off the court.

Garbine Muguruza: ´Friendship between players? We hate each other!

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/news/Tennis_Interviews/29226/garbine-muguruza-friendship-between-players-we-hate-each-other-doping-in-tennis-we-are-tested-much-/

I only know about this article cause of the doping information.

Was reading today that Chris Froome gets dope tested about 80 times per year.

Anyone know how many dope tests Andy Murray had in the last 12 months?

It is funny how Saint Andy and Tennis get such a free ride. Cycling is too honest. They should take the utter piss like Tennis does. Folk lap it up so why not.

Tennis is a much richer sport and the rewards on offer are much higher than in cycling...much.

Yet it dope tests much much less than cycling to the point of a being a joke.

Yet amazingly there are some on here who think it is cleaner than cycling. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I must admit the signs for Murray are very worrying. His hip injury is more serious than has been let on. Evidently, it is troubling to a great degree hence his distraught press conference announcing his pulling out of the US Open. Multiple sources are saying it could need an operation or treatment similar to that which Rafa had on his knees - rich platelet therapy and others suggest it could be arthritis. I hope I am wrong but could this be the beginning of the end for Andy?

• 1 month later...

Brilliant performance from old man Fed in Shanghai. Pretty much unplayable when he serves like that - with Rafa not really close to even a break point.

Still no idea how Fed's backhand has improved so much this season.

On 10/15/2017 at 11:21 AM, min said:

Brilliant performance from old man Fed in Shanghai. Pretty much unplayable when he serves like that - with Rafa not really close to even a break point.

According to the man himself not so many mishits with the bigger headed racquet.

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Bannannan said:

Andy still not looking anywhere near 100 per cent

It is a worry. I watched the exhibition and he was obviously hobbling between points.

On 10/15/2017 at 11:21 AM, min said:

On 10/16/2017 at 1:11 PM, Bannannan said:

According to the man himself not so many mishits with the bigger headed racquet.

A lot of time off has given him a lot of time to prepare properly. 

57 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Just seen Jana Novotna's died of cancer at 49 :(

Yeah, very sad news that. 

Noticed it somewhere beneath the Charles Manson story. A psycho-messianic whacko gets more column inches than the way-too-early death of a top lass whose career gave pleasure to millions. What's wrong with us?

9 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Yeah, very sad news that. 

Noticed it somewhere beneath the Charles Manson story. A psycho-messianic whacko gets more column inches than the way-too-early death of a top lass whose career gave pleasure to millions. What's wrong with us?

Agreed, the only positive thing I can think of Manson is that he inspired this song...

• 1 month later...