Glasgow - where to live - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glasgow - where to live

19 hours ago, thplinth said:

Is there anywhere near Glasgow that would be the equivalent of a Findhorn to Aberdeen. i.e. A wee village that could be a good place for a weekend holiday home. 

Rhu is a village where people live as opposed to a holiday home place.  Dunoon or Rothesay might be more appropriate for a holiday place, or Girvan was I think deemed to be one of the cheapest seaside towns in the UK last year.  There are lots of nice villages scattered around the Clyde coast like Tighnabruich or those on Loch Fyneside.  You could hedge your bets and buy a boat and see them all.  If you want a break from the incessant Glasgow rain then the East Neuk of Fife or East Lothian isn't that far.  Personally, I prefer the West Coast proper and I like Port Appin and Easdale.  That said, a boat, caravan or motorhome might be a better option as you can see more of the country without contributing to the de-population of rural Scotland.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Toepoke said:

Agree with you about the Mearns. I'm sure the motorway makes it much handier, the queues to get on it in the morning look horrendous.

It's interesting to nip into the Waitrose there and observe the clientele. It's hard to believe you're in the same country!

Finnieston has certainly boomed since the Hydro opened. My mate there was raging recently that his local had about doubled their bar prices.

I sold up in G41 about 10 years ago. It had certainly undergone a boom at that point. Wouldn't move back though, the on street parking is murder.

I'm G41 ?

On 19/12/2016 at 10:33 AM, glasgow jock said:

The area is way beyond repair, a real slum & a real shame, was a nice little area of the southside when lived there, born in the area 1965, left in 1975.

It is so so bad now, delivering to places in Alison street is pretty interesting, Romas eyeing up the vans and on every street corner. My dad taught there too and said the kids were brutal, fondleing girls in the corridors etc thinking iwas acceptable. Generaly being wee dicks.

On 20/12/2016 at 7:22 PM, phart said:

I was in Clarkston for a christmas meal with my old uni mates, All three of them had had babies this year, so two of them live in Clarkston now.

It looked a nice area.

Its nice enough but you pay way over the odds for what you get. Paying for a name.

On 12/21/2016 at 3:59 PM, Potted Heid said:

Rhu is a village where people live as opposed to a holiday home place.  Dunoon or Rothesay might be more appropriate for a holiday place, or Girvan was I think deemed to be one of the cheapest seaside towns in the UK last year.  There are lots of nice villages scattered around the Clyde coast like Tighnabruich or those on Loch Fyneside.  You could hedge your bets and buy a boat and see them all.  If you want a break from the incessant Glasgow rain then the East Neuk of Fife or East Lothian isn't that far.  Personally, I prefer the West Coast proper and I like Port Appin and Easdale.  That said, a boat, caravan or motorhome might be a better option as you can see more of the country without contributing to the de-population of rural Scotland.

Cheers Heid. You are a true gent.

(gonna buy abroad. :lol:)

On 21/12/2016 at 2:59 PM, Potted Heid said:

If he's saving up his money to buy a boat, what should he call it?

I'd recommend Crosshill / Cathkin Park area..excellent trains into centre...can walk easily to Hampden should there ever be a good reason again to go...

There are some decent houses around there...and u might even get a revival of 3rd Lanark to give u a team to follow...

• 4 weeks later...

Big decision point is kids.  If you want schools with good exam results then you go to East Renfrewshire - Newton Mearns, Giffnock, Clarkston or East Dunbartonshire - Bearsden, Milngavie, Bishopbriggs, Lenzie.  Of these 2 you can find houses cheaper in Newton Mearns and Bishopbriggs/Lenzie than the others.  All are nice safe areas for families.  You'd need to look around to make your mind up.  There's more "stuff" in southside but traffic is worse and wrong end from Edinburgh.

If no kids or primary school then for a house you have Kelvindale, Scotstoun and Jordanhill in West End.  Cathcart, Newlands, Shawlands Southside but when kids get older you'd probably join the flight to suburbs above as Glasgow Secondary schools are pish when compared to league tables.

No kids ever then its party time with tenements or some houses (not much choice) in West End Hyndland, Finnieston, St Georges Cross, Partick or Shawlands and Strathbungo in Southside.

I find Glasgow infinitely better than Liverpool. More attractive, loads of things to do - the number of good restaurants and gigs is impressive and far far better transport links.

PM if you need more info.

I'd completely disagree with Alan who has dismissed Glasgow schools as pish based on league tables.

Glasgow is the authority area in Scotland with the highest number of free school meal entitlements and the largest quota of parents living in both areas of multiple deprivation and poverty http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/School-Education/SchoolMealsDatasets/schmeals2016- it has a direct effect on the number of pupils engaging with their work and getting adequate parental support to achieve success in national examinations in the senior phase.

Where the parents are in employment, are owner occupiers and actively engaged with their kids education then those pupils go on to achieve fantastic results in Glasgow. 

If you do move to East Ren you should note that pupils from this area have one of the highest drop out rates from University & Colleges - whilst their results do look outstanding in the league tables dataset (approx 95%+ owner occupier at Williamwood, St Ninian's and Eastwood btw) it is usually by having their pupils spoon fed the content of their school courses backed up with the luxury of private tuition at home paid for by the parents - when they get to Uni they can't handle the workload and have no real idea how to take responsibility for their own learning. 

Don't look at league tables as a judge of where a school is at.

Edited by Topcat

Don't disagree with the above statements.  Education in Glasgow is a postcode lottery which is another thread for discussion.  However League tables based on exam results. Exam results get you jobs or into higher education.  When you're a parent and you look at options for your kid you instinctively go for schools with best results.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14376621.West_coast_schools_dominate_The_Herald_s_exam_league_tables/?c=p5sxn06yldi

14 hours ago, Alan said:

If no kids or primary school then for a house you have Kelvindale, Scotstoun and Jordanhill in West End.  

What's wrong with Jordanhill?  As Scotland's only "academy" school I thought all you Tories were supposed to think it was brilliant.  Ruthie never stops banging on about the place. 

Good point. Finger on the pulse all the way from Berkshire. Jordanhill is very good and outwith council control I think due to historical link with Jordanhill teaching college.  House prices in the catchment mirror that fact.  

A debate I've been having with my wife.

If we bring our boys up well and they have some aptitude, they will do fine academically regardless of what (primary) school they go to in my opinion.

My wife insists they have to go to a school further away, and I think she's just being a snob...

27 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

A debate I've been having with my wife.

If we bring our boys up well and they have some aptitude, they will do fine academically regardless of what (primary) school they go to in my opinion.

My wife insists they have to go to a school further away, and I think she's just being a snob...

Or maybe she wants to spend less time with your kids!!

4 hours ago, Alan said:

Don't disagree with the above statements.  Education in Glasgow is a postcode lottery which is another thread for discussion.  However League tables based on exam results. Exam results get you jobs or into higher education.  When you're a parent and you look at options for your kid you instinctively go for schools with best results.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14376621.West_coast_schools_dominate_The_Herald_s_exam_league_tables/?c=p5sxn06yldi

good old gryffe high doing well.

23 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Was always full of snobby khunts!! :wink2:

ach rubbish, maybe from some of the folk 'up the hill' in BOW, but a fair few scummies as well. And us good folk of Houston were pretty level headed I would say, maybe with a few exceptions.

but that snobby thing was all reputation and no fact.

1 hour ago, Boynze said:

ach rubbish, maybe from some of the folk 'up the hill' in BOW, but a fair few scummies as well. And us good folk of Houston were pretty level headed I would say, maybe with a few exceptions.

I'm no sure.  4-5 of us from Linwood High had a class there 2-3 times a week when in 5th year and we were definitely the poor relations! :lol:

I am talking the best part of 25 years ago mind you!! :(

3 hours ago, Boynze said:

Very spooky you should post this. We moved to BOW almost 8 years ago,  both my daughters had attended Johnstone High, the youngest was still at school at the time we moved. She was starting S3 when we moved and wanted to stay at Johnstone High. Despite all the league tables saying Gryffe was the place to be we kept her at JH as, for us, her happiness was more important than league tables. My husband had to run her to JH every morning for 3 years as we were out with the catchment area. We must be the only people ever to live in BOW whose children went to JH....

My youngest now has a decent job and my oldest daughter is an english teacher. As Topcat says, there are far more variables make up the results that schools achieve, and home background and stability to me has as much, if not more, influence on how well your child does. It would be interesting to see how the teachers in high achieving schools fared if they were moved to a less prosperous area.

I personally think league tables should be abolished. The results on their own provide no real background , all they do is inflate house prices in certain areas and , as another poster mentioned, create wider division. 

Unsurprisingly I live 'doon the hill '?

Thanks again for all the advice - looks like the job in Glasgow is a goer, so I'll start looking through the recommendations again.

Is the gspc.co.uk website as good as any for houses in the area?

Edited by Maq

I think they are all pretty similar gspc, rightmove, s1homes.  I bought a house couple years back and used them all.

An estate agent which seemed to have consistently good homes for the price you are looking at is Corum.  

You've been given quite a few options from various people so it may have made your decision worse!

5 hours ago, Maq said:

Thanks again for all the advice - looks like the job in Glasgow is a goer, so I'll start looking through the recommendations again.

Is the gspc.co.uk website as good as any for houses in the area?

Rightmove was better I found, GSPC only had a handful, although perhaps in Glasgow proper they have more? In our area it only seemed to be the ones sold by solicitors (which I presume = divorce)

The one I saw on GSPC, I arranged a viewing with the solicitors/agents office, they wrote my appointment on a piece of card and filed it in a drawer, the office could've easily been in the 1950s if you replaced the computer with a typewriter.