Glenlivet and best whisky - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glenlivet and best whisky

On 8/29/2017 at 5:13 PM, Hertsscot said:

Anyone ever had a top of the (price) range whisky?  I'm not interested in a bragging competition but just wondered if you can tell any difference.  I'd happily pay £30 or £40 - though to be honest I normally just look out for when malts have got £10 off at the Supermarket.  I reckon I can tell the difference between some cheap stuff and something a bit better but can you taste that much of a difference if you're paying more than £50 or £60?  From a pure taste point of view is it worth it, I'm not sure my taste buds could tell the difference.  

I have tried quite a few that I would consider incredibly expensive (probably £1,000 to £2,000 per bottle range) and they were incredible, smooth and complex, but definitely NOT worth the money.  Like a lot of expensive things, it is a law of diminishing returns and the seller can only charge that price because it is rare and somebody is willing to pay it - footballers are a good example, Neymar is not 200 times as good as a player valued at one million pounds.

But I think if you can pay £50 for a bottle instead of £20 or £30 then that would probaly be worthwhile.  

The crazy thing is that on a £20 bottle about £15 goes on tax so you are only paying £5 for your whisky, the bottle, labeling, shipping, the shops costs and profit and everything else.

Guest flumax
On 30/08/2017 at 1:38 AM, flumax said:

Just enjoying a couple of Glen Garioch founders reserve. Very sweet. 

I'll tell you how I do in the morning 

Jings that's the bottle gone in a couple of day. Didn't cause much trouble with the wake up. 

I still stick with the adage, you're  only an alcoholic if you drink more than your dr. 

On 08/31/2017 at 4:43 PM, Denny's Yard said:

I have tried quite a few that I would consider incredibly expensive (probably £1,000 to £2,000 per bottle range) and they were incredible, smooth and complex, but definitely NOT worth the money.  Like a lot of expensive things, it is a law of diminishing returns and the seller can only charge that price because it is rare and somebody is willing to pay it - footballers are a good example, Neymar is not 200 times as good as a player valued at one million pounds.

But I think if you can pay £50 for a bottle instead of £20 or £30 then that would probaly be worthwhile.  

The crazy thing is that on a £20 bottle about £15 goes on tax so you are only paying £5 for your whisky, the bottle, labeling, shipping, the shops costs and profit and everything else.

"incredibly smooth and complex". Wow it's came a long way from guys sneaking out white spirit on their belts.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, The White Ceelo said:

Page 3 is too far for this to fall so her goes, last dregs of Highland park licked oot the bottle, should I open my Ballantine 21 yo blend or go to bed? Probably no remembering what it tastes like..

Ps that was my last post if this site is to die, sorry, this is my last post..?..hic

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Rum is good. Rum ginger beer and fresh lime. 

It's not whisky it's rum but it's nice. I can't be arsed making it myself now so I may have a Black label or a Glenmorangie. 

Oot of retirement for 1 last minute, if you want to talk rum then Mount Gay an a wee cube of ice...mmm

fukk..I love rum ???

5 minutes ago, The White Ceelo said:

Oot of retirement for 1 last minute, if you want to talk rum then Mount Gay an a wee cube of ice...mmm

fukk..I love rum ???

Mount Gay is lovely but I prefer Kraken or Sailor Jerry. Havana Club 7 is pretty special too. Keep meaning to buy the Scottish rum, can't remember the name just now. Saw it in Sainsbury's a few months ago think it was about £35 but my cheap side won the day as Sailor Jerry was on special. 

Don't retire the tamb will live on. Or join our dogging with hooker club as mentioned on another thread. 

Edited by G-Man

4 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Mount Gay is lovely but I prefer Kraken or Sailor Jerry. Havana Club 7 is pretty special too. Keep meaning to buy the Scottish rum, can't remember the name just now. Saw it in Sainsbury's a few months ago think it was about £35 but my cheap side won the day as Sailor Jerry was on special. 

Don't retire the tamb will live on. Or join our dogging with hooker club as mentioned on another thread. 

Mount gay " Black Barrel " was on special for £25 a few weeks ago and is an amazin rum. Rumbullion is also a bit special.

my wife might be interested in your other wee club when I'm away. Me, well, the rum is by far a better night oot. Hopefully the TAMB will be saved.

1 hour ago, The White Ceelo said:

Mount gay " Black Barrel " was on special for £25 a few weeks ago and is an amazin rum. Rumbullion is also a bit special.

my wife might be interested in your other wee club when I'm away. Me, well, the rum is by far a better night oot. Hopefully the TAMB will be saved.

What a coincidence, Mrs Ceelo was just leaving the car park as I was getting there. 

Rumbullion is next buy. I keep meaning to look up Sailor Jerry as I'm sure I read they were releasing a special edition bottle. 

7 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

I got a litre of that for 16 notes in Hong Kong duty free the other week.

I only bought it as it was 60% off. Not a huge rum fan but like an occasional Havana Club.

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, giblet said:

Tried some Octomore, an Islay, recently.  Absolutely lovely.  About £140 a bottle though ...

I managed to get my hands on a Macallan Genesis on Tuesday. £495 a bottle. 

Already going for over £3k on the secondary market. 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Are you going to drink it?

That's paying off my mortgage in 10 years. I won't lie, I'm a collector.  

I drink a few... I opened a 30 year old Glenlivet a few weeks back for my wee 1s first birthday.  It was 'worth' over a grand if i was looking to sell, but I bought it with the intention of drinking it with my dad and father in law. 

1 minute ago, Debian said:

That's paying off my mortgage in 10 years. I won't lie, I'm a collector.  

I drink a few... I opened a 30 year old Glenlivet a few weeks back for my wee 1s first birthday.  It was 'worth' over a grand if i was looking to sell, but I bought it with the intention of drinking it with my dad and father in law. 

Did the bairn like it? Start them early, that's what I say.