St. Andrew's Day - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

St. Andrew's Day

Does any town or village still have their gala days etc?

Within my lifetime seen cultural/.community events take a nosedive.  Real shame.  St Andrew's Day is as well being put on the list of missed opportunities.  We really do everything wrong in this country.  Hogmanay in Edinburgh is utter overpriced gash as well.  corporatised to the max.  standing in the cold watching fireworks...woweeee.  Wee villages in Europe have a more liberal attitude than we do..with more going on.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

• 11 months later...
On 11/30/2016 at 10:36 AM, PapofGlencoe said:

Does any town or village still have their gala days etc?

Within my lifetime seen cultural/.community events take a nosedive.  Real shame.  St Andrew's Day is as well being put on the list of missed opportunities.  We really do everything wrong in this country.  Hogmanay in Edinburgh is utter overpriced gash as well.  corporatised to the max.  standing in the cold watching fireworks...woweeee.  Wee villages in Europe have a more liberal attitude than we do..with more going on.

I blame central heating. Our younger generations have had it far too easy.

40 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Chances of me celebrating a saint very unlikely. Shurely Scotland has an old history free of religious iconisism. (Possibly just made up the word 'iconnisism') I'd like to think I'm the guy up the back listening, thinking, you've just made that shit up.

It's no more celebrating a saint than waving the saltire is. St Andrew's links to Scotland were very tenuous, it's just a ceremonial label to have a day in his name.

8 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

I'm all for a party. However I'm not going to have one for (googled) ' a person acknowledged as holy or virtuous and regarded in Christian faith as being in heaven after death. ' He/they can go fcuk themselves with ther made up shit. 

What do you do at Christmas?

3 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

I'm all for a party. However I'm not going to have one for (googled) ' a person acknowledged as holy or virtuous and regarded in Christian faith as being in heaven after death. ' He/they can go fcuk themselves with ther made up shit. 

Eisegerwind's 666th post ... Coincidence?

The values of the fundamental physical constants of the universe are such that organic life can develop. They don't have to have those values ... Coincidence?

13 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

What do you do at Christmas?

The full thing. Yeah, to be honest, I've always had a bit of an issue with that. However, I think it's fairly accepted that Christmas is a christian hijacking of  various pre christian celebrations. I've certainly made my peace that christmas for me is the celebration of the winter equinox (21-23 dec). The fact that  I've got to the darkest day of the year and will hopefully see the dawning of a new year means a lot to me (getting old does that), I can live with the fact that I'll celebrate it a couple of days late.

Edited by Eisegerwind
spelling

24 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Eisegerwind's 666th post ... Coincidence?

The values of the fundamental physical constants of the universe are such that organic life can develop. They don't have to have those values ... Coincidence?

Shut up, you're scaring me.

Edited by Eisegerwind