First Pub You Got Served In - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First Pub You Got Served In

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/10/2016 at 10:56 AM, deecie said:

Ambassador in Aberdeen. Still the finest pool hall I've ever been in, my game hasn't really recovered since it was demolished.

Also once got served in my school uniform after a maths exam.

I got my first pint in Potters Snooker Hall in Stevenson when i was 14. Must be easier to get served in that kind of establishment.

First nightclub i got into was The Metro in Saltcoats when i was 15. Got into was Scala at Kings Cross & Po Na Na in Wimbledon when i was 16 and me and my mates stayed at his dad's flat in Wimbledon for the weekend.

Good times!  

Was never really into drinking or attempting to get into places underage when I was younger..... first place I got served was Fiddlers Nightclub in Largs when I was 17 after a end of year dance at school when our English teacher (who was only 6 or 7 years older than us) went with us for a night out.

First pub was almost certainly The Galleon Inn in Seamill not long after.

The Cauldren in Victoria Street when I was just turned 16. Got told to ask for a black velvet to show I was an experienced drinker, even though I didn't have a clue what it was. Had many a good night in there and never once got asked for ID, even though I looked pretty young. Ironically, seeing as what it was called, it burned down years ago. Reopened but can't remember what name it has now

1 hour ago, dipped flake said:

The Cauldren in Victoria Street when I was just turned 16. Got told to ask for a black velvet to show I was an experienced drinker, even though I didn't have a clue what it was. Had many a good night in there and never once got asked for ID, even though I looked pretty young. Ironically, seeing as what it was called, it burned down years ago. Reopened but can't remember what name it has now

What the hell is a "black velvet"?

On 10/11/2016 at 10:38 AM, aaid said:

In common with most teenagers in the local area - @killiefaetheferry? -the first pub I got served in was the Fairmont in Stewarton which now has houses built on the site.  I suspect I was about 15.

I also seem to remember the Corn Exchange in Gordon St across from Central Station being reasonably easy to get served in although to be honest I never really had any problem getting served from the age of 16 onwards. 

I've heard stories from people that went to Kilmarnock Academy that in sixth year they used to go into the Kay Park Tavern - which is next door to the Academy - that they used to go in after school for a pint before getting the bus home.

Child's fare no doubt.

J

Mine was the Assembly Inn on Alfred street in Bath. 

I was 16 playing for the first XV rugby team. It was after the first game of the season and we all met up. Got to the bar with my mate ordered a pint of Guinness as I had no idea what to drink and it was what my Dad drank at the time. Two of them, two bottles of Carlsberg Elephant lager, a bottle of Labatts Ice and a bottle of Newcastle Brown.

Like many on this thread, ended up spewing my ring when I got home.

Went to my first nightclub the week after. MIND BLOWN!

J

Derry Treanors ( Tucker's) in the Gorbals. We were 14. Nae bother getting served and at that age none of had anymore than 3 or 4 pints at a time, but if we got loud wee Derry told us tae shut it or he'd be asking for id's. I mind when we were 16, we'd managed in early to the Cueball in Coplaw St, my mate went to the bar and asked for 3 pints, lassie asked him pints of what and he panicked and said "anything", that was us papped right out!

Can't remember the name of the pub, but it was in Bolton I was 15 and skipped school travelled with my older brother and his mates to see St Mirren v Bolton in the old Anglo Scottish Cup.

Pre match they were egging me on to go try and get served, after plucking up the courage I then spoke 5 words which still haunt me to this day.

"Pint of heavy please mister" they were all in hysterics and I'm still reminded of it 35 years later. 

I did get served tho, barman must have felt sorry for me :-) 

Edited by Jersey Jim